4 replies to this topic

#1 Víctor Martínez

Víctor Martínez

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cadiz - Spain

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Hello, excuse my english, I'm spanish:
Well, this is puzzling, I do not know what wrong with the alignment of the mount goto, last night after trying several configurations of alignment of stars, which finally worked well was a three-Antares-Cor Caroli Deneb (METI all objects near the center of a field Ethos 8mm to 150X). But there's something you do not understand, and I do not let the stars I want to select, for example, in the early hours of the night, I chose two stars for alignment with Antares, but I showed Vega star second option, simply omitted from the list of eligible.
Of course I do not know what criteria used in selecting the frame of the stars of alignment or as a hit, because it gives ma alignments as well, but the goto is not nothing finer. The parameters of coordinates correct +01:00 time zone, daylight saving time, and yes. Getting the station with Polar mount correctly and fairly level. I reiterate what was said, finally, after several tests always give a combination that works, but elsewhere it is clear that there is a bug or something that I have in mind.
Any idea?
Regards

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

The rules which are used to determine the list of available stars are given in the synscan user manual which you can get from the skywatcher website. The software just uses this rules. It is good to select the stars that you will use before going to observe and using the rules given in the pdf. If you do this and your mount is correctly polar aligned and level you should not have problems.I always use 3-star alignment and reticle eyepiece to achieve good precision. If you do not have reticle eyepiece you can use eyepiece with small AFOV and slightly defocus the star to become bigger and easier to center.

#3 Víctor Martínez

Víctor Martínez

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Ok, thanks

#4 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

• Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

What version of the software are you using ? Make sure when setting Time Zone you use the "up" button to change the + to a - symbol , its a bug, if you use the "down" button it doesn't save your selection and the choice of stars it gives you would make no sense. In fact now I always use the "up button" before making a selection.

After I found that out, it became a whole lot easier :)

I think its fixed in the latest SynScan software (although I haven't tried it yet), someone here can provide a link from SkyWatchers website.

EDIT: Nevermind I see you might be on the latest version based on your signature.

#5 Víctor Martínez

Víctor Martínez

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hello:
Yes, I use the latest version, 3.25

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics