Photo

AP 900GTO notification, what else do I need?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hi folks,

Just received notification for an AP 900GTO mount and wondered what other accessories I would need. It won't be permanently mounted initially, so I gather I need a portable pier. Any other suggestions for astro-imaging?

My plan is to pick up a TEC 140 for imaging, so I'm sure the mount would be up to that task :) Later, I was considering a C14, but the new flat-field scopes from Celestron are even more tempting!

Thanks,

-Jeff

#2 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

Saddle plate, polar scope, weights, pier adapter, power supply or large battery.

Just to start.

Enjoy!

#3 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Dean!

#4 JumboFlex

JumboFlex

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

Imaging using a TEC 140 on an AP900 will not be an issue unless you use imaging accessories that add up to the same wt of the scope, even then it should not be a problem. You could probably image quite nicely with a Mach1 and the same scope.

If you order the TEC tube rings you will need the DOVELM2 saddle plate to mount it, thats what I use for a TEC 140 on a Mach1, not sure if another adapter would be needed between the DOVE and the 900 but I doubt it. Check out the mounting adapter section of AP to see what works for you, keeping in mind you need to properly balance your setup, which may alter the length of the adapter you might need as you may want to shift the scope either forward or back within the saddle.

In terms of counterwts, I use 25lbs in various positions along the couterwt shaft to balance the TEC 140, thats to balance the scope with a heavy EP at the midpoint of focuser travel. I can also balance a Denk II BVer with twin pan24s with 25lbs of counterwts all shifted to the end of the shaft. How much you will need will depend on the length of your counterwt shaft and the accessories you choose but I just though I would provide a ballpark for you. The AP counterwts are really nice looking - if you are an admirer of counterweights.

I imagine you will be very happy with your AP900.

#5 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info, JumboFlex. The Mach1 is a nice mount as well, but I plan on using this mount for a large SCT-type scope eventually so I think I will need the 900. I'll take a look into the saddle plate.

-Jeff

#6 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

You might be able to skip the polar scope if you can do Roland's alignment (described in the handpad manual- look for the latest addendum).

I'm partial to the Losmandy Dovetail plate as it gives you flexibility if you have multiple scopes.

You'll LOVE that TEC 140. I have it on an AP600 and it is sooooo sweet. FWIW I have TEC 12 inch plate riding in the 8 inch AP Dovetail.

#7 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

I think the Polar Scope is the weakest part of the AP system I use PemPro to polar align. since a full version comes with the mount, I'd skip the PAS.

#8 JumboFlex

JumboFlex

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

John has a point, if you are doing imaging the polar alignment scope might not be necessary if you use software to align. For only visual use it can be helpful if you want to just do a quickie rough alignment, its a small cost percentage wise to the AP900 so you could probably take it or leave it. I got it for the "just in case" reason, figured if I was spending this much on a mount might as well get all the bell and whistles, how useful they all are only experience will tell.

And just as a clarification to my previous post, I use the 9" TEC dovetail plate (if fits in the made in Germany case you can purchase, which I did) on the DOVELM2. Works well for me but I dont have to balance a potentially heavy imaging setup, the extra length of the 12" TEC plate or something else may be more helpful to you balance wise.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics