Photo

Carina Software Products Free on July 20th!!!

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Carnina Software has just posted the following incredible message...

[Disclaimer: I worked with Carina on the SkyVoyager product for the iPhone]

Forty Years Ago Monday

Monday, July 20th, 2009 marks the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's first footprints on the Moon.

At Carina Software, we've decided to celebrate this historic day by offering all of our downloadable astronomy software for free. That's right: free.

For one day – Monday, July 20th, 2009 – both of our iPhone applications, SkyVoyager and SkyGazer, will be free on the iTunes App Store.

But that's not all. On Monday, July 20th, our desktop astronomy software programs, Voyager and SkyGazer, will also be free*. You can download them from our web site, and order a serial number – for free – from our on-line store.

Why are we doing this?

July 20th, 1969 was a day that manned exploration of the universe brought the world together in awe and wonder. Sadly, in the 40 years since then, no human being has travelled beyond low Earth orbit. But hopefully, our programs will help let you recapture the awe and wonder of that day – and perhaps inspire the next generation to reach for even greater heights.

Feel free to pass this email on to anyone you know who might be interested in what we have to offer.

Best Wishes – For All Mankind,

The Carina Software Team

* Offer applies only to downloadable versions of SkyGazer and Voyager, not software shipped on CD or DVD.

#2 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

That is un-believably nice of them. I hope it brings them more future business.

#3 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Where exactly did you see the announcement? I can't seem to find the announcement on Carina's website or in their web group. :confused:

#4 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

The announcement was sent to me by Carina's lead developer. It will be making its way around over the next couple of days. I think they just haven't had time to update the web site.

#5 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Actually, I just checked their site and they do say:

"Moon Landing 40th Anniversary Sale - July 20th, 2009! Check back Monday for details."

I guess they aren't going to fully spill the beans until then but the software will indeed be free that day.

#6 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• Loc: Brescia, Italy

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Oh my gosh!! I am so glad I didn't buy Voyager 4.5 when I wanted to!
:)

Thank you so much Carina!

#7 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

How generous! And, frankly, surprising, amazing, unexpected, etc. A great contribution to amateurs and stargazers everywhere.

I've really enjoyed Voyager over the years, although Starry Night Pro replaced it a few years ago. But this will give me a chance to see what the latest V has to offer. I still prefer its interface and customization abilities.

Thanks for alerting us!

#8 SyedRaza

SyedRaza

The Milky Way Resident

• -----
  • Loc: The Milky Way

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hi

I guess the Appstore has deactivated the link for the Skyvoyager on the 20th may be because of a lot of traffic :bangbangbang:

#9 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

It's there and it works fine! Just try it again.

The desktop/laptop programs (Voyager, Sky Gazer) are 1 cent each. A great deal!

#10 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

Wonderful promotion...... Thank you Carina!!

#11 veebs2

veebs2

special label

• Loc: DeKalb, IL

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

I bought my Voyager software at 6:30am this morning and still have not received an email with download links. Has anyone else received their email confirmation with links?

#12 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

Paul,
Go into the site, locate your product and in the left navigation pane is an option to download!

Hope this helps some,
Rodney

#13 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

Neither have I but given the likely popularity of this little event I suspect they may have a little more than slightly misjudged their ability to follow up with the keys "within a few minutes"...... :)

I figure I will give it a day or two and then email my paypal reciept if I have not heard from them.

I bought my Voyager software at 6:30am this morning and still have not received an email with download links. Has anyone else received their email confirmation with links?

#14 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

The Voyager software isn't free! They're asking for a huge payment of one penny! Gee how greedy can you get! I am really disappointed! Well maybe not! :lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol:

#15 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

I purchased my software at 7:57 AM CDT. By the time I finished down loading the software my serial number was in my mail box. So say 45 minutes.

#16 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I went thru the Carina website to purchase my software. The whole thing download and activation took about 48 minutes.

#17 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

I bought it too, but never got an activation download link.

#18 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• Loc: Brescia, Italy

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

same here, I just bought it but no link for download or serial yet!

E.

#19 Treehopper

Treehopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I downloaded the full program as "trial" version, which (as I understand it) is essentially the full version, you just need the registration code. If I went to the Order screen, it still wanted to charge my PayPal $99.95 for the download.

I did send an e-mail to them from their "About Us" page, but I'm assuming there has to be an easier way.

EDIT: Just went to their home page. They've changed it in the last couple of hours. The only program now marked with "Free Download Today" is their SkyVoyager 1.1. Any other mention of "free" or "download for a penny" has been removed! :( I hope this is an oversight, and not a matter of any shenanigans.

#20 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

I ordered the free download of Voyager (PayPal cost 0.01); they were supposed to send instructions on downloading the software. Nothing as of yet. :(

#21 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Out there, Way out there

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

I too have tried and not been successful so far to take advantage of this very generous offer from Carina. The only product showing "free" on the front page of Carina's site is SkyVoyager. When you select Voyager and go to the order page the CD download is marked as being temporarily disabled. Well, I hope that this gets addressed, but if not, then I am happy for those that were able to do this :-)

James

#22 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Download page says:
TEMPORARILY DISABLED - Due to unexpectedly high volume, this download has been disabled at the request of our webhosting provider. We are working with our hosting provider to resolve this problem. Serial numbers will be emailed to all customers who have purchased them.
http://www.carinasof...er/store01.html
I guess they didn't think about the power of FREE & the internet.

#23 PiperKev

PiperKev

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grafton, OH

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

This is now posted on the download page:

TEMPORARILY DISABLED - Due to unexpectedly high volume, this download has been disabled at the request of our webhosting provider. We are working with our hosting provider to resolve this problem. Serial numbers will be emailed to all customers who have purchased them.

Sounds like they're a little bit overwhelmed...

#24 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi all,

Sorry to hear of all the problems but I was able to download the software, after paying a PP penny, about 10AM EDT. I had the download email and serial number within a few minutes. I installed Voyager and it seems to be a nice piece of software.

I hope Carina Software can get the website traffic situation settled with their provider for everyone to take advantage of this kind gesture.

peace & clear skies,

#25 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Out there, Way out there

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

Richard - that is great!! Happy for you :-) Question - do you happen to use either TheSky6 or Starry Night, and if so, what can you say as an immediate impression of the comparison?

James

Hi all,

Sorry to hear of all the problems but I was able to download the software, after paying a PP penny, about 10AM EDT. I had the download email and serial number within a few minutes. I installed Voyager and it seems to be a nice piece of software.

I hope Carina Software can get the website traffic situation settled with their provider for everyone to take advantage of this kind gesture.

peace & clear skies,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics