#1 kpendlebury

kpendlebury

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central TX

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hi All,

I am a new GEM owner. I received my CG-5 today and was going through the balancing procedure. Upon picking up the 11 lb counterweight to balance out my 6 lb scope, I knew things were going to turn out badly.

My question is: Is anyone aware of smaller weights that are compatible with the ASGT?

I searched the forums for a bit and found a thread that was about 3 years old indicating that the Stellarvue M6 weights and some generic weights from scopestuff would work. Unfortunately the SV weights are 8.5 lbs which I think is still too heavy and it appears as though scopestuff no longer sells small ASGT weights.

I think a weight between 5 and 7 lbs will work nicely, but cannot find one anywhere.

Any advice or thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ken

#2 Deven Matlick

Deven Matlick

Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Moatsville, WV

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

There was a EQ-3 weight in the range you are looking for that would fit. Or one could be made.

#3 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

Why don't you just measure the counterweight shaft diameter and look for compatible counterweights?

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

Not sure at all why this would be a problem. The CG5 can easily handle the weight.

That being said, if you want smaller weights, Orion used to sell a weight that was about 5 lbs. It was very thin.

I personally prefer the Vixen GP weights. These are much smaller diameter than the Celestron and Meade weights. Also, the hole is smaller on one end than the other. The reason Vixen did this was so that you could put the weith on the shaft with the smaller hole facing up. Now, the "Bottom" hole was big enough so that it would allow the weight to be slid down so the bottom was PAST the safety screw. This put the weight further away allowing you to sometimes use a smaller weight and still get balance. There is a Vixen 2.8 KG weight available (about 6.5 lbs). There is also a 1 KG weigh (about 2.2 lbs). I really like the Vixen weights, but they are expensive.

The Vixen CW is my favorite kind of weight for this class mount.

Good luck.

#5 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

The CG-5 counterweight shaft is the same size as the Meade LXD55/75 and the Vixen GP2/Sphinx. Anything said to be compatible with these mounts should work. As Eddgie pointed out, Vixen makes some lighter CW that will fit and they are good quality.

The Scopestuff CWs for the CG-5 are small 1 lb weights that screw into the the end of the shaft in place of the safety screw, so they are sometimes called "toe saver CWs." You can use up to three of them and their main purpose is to allow fine balance when one regular CW is not enough but two is too many. Even with three 1 lb weights at the end of the shaft, I think it may not be quite enough to balance your scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics