CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounts for Observatories?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 SnaggS

SnaggS

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

I've just had some good news, a friend has bought a vineyard and has offered for me to build my observatory on a patch!

Its dark skies, and only 1 hours and 15 minutes from my home. I was about to buy a DM-6, but I'm now reconsidering as I don't know whether it will work with a motorised dome.

I'm thinking I might be better off with a Tak EM-200 and two piers, one for the dome, one at my house and carrying the mount and scope in between.

What do you think?

Daniel.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Moderators

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

I'd go with the EM200.

#3 SnaggS

SnaggS

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Heh, amazingly, my wife thinks so too... but because she thinks the DM-6 is ugly.. I think its georgeous!! Just as well she likes the holy green paint of takahashi, otherwise we'd be in marriage counselling.. some things just arn't negotiable :)

Daniel.

#4 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Daniel -

The EM-200 is easily lug-able. You will enjoy it and the polar scope will make set up simple when you switch sites.

Pier plates/mount adapters can be pricey. Consider getting the same pier for each site and also lugging the pier/mount adapter from site to site.

Dan in NY

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics