CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sphinx mount support for non sidereal tracking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

The specs advertised by Orion indicate Sidereal, Solar, and Lunar tracking rate support for the Vixen Sphinx mounts. Can anybody confirm this? I see nothing in the Starbook manual or other documentation on the web that indicates this is so.

Glenn

#2 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

I don't recall seeing anything in the starbook about different tracking rates.

#3 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Would you expect to? Since the mount knows which objects you are tracking, there wouldn't be any reason to have to set the appropriate rate. I would think that software would take care of it.

#4 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

IIRC my mount tracked the moon for over an hour spot on, I started some observing then clouds came in, hour plus later the skies cleared and the moon was still in the centre of view.

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

>>> Since the mount knows which objects you are tracking<<<

That's only if you've done a sky alignment and are using go-to. I would hope that for the main objects where different rates matter, the Moon or Sun, no alignment or go-to is needed. :grin:

#6 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

An example might help to clarify my question. Assume you wish to track a feature (with a minimum of corrections) on the Sun for a long period, say 2-3 hours. Because the solar day is 24 hours, and the sidereal day is 23h56m4s approx, you need to slow the tracking rate down approx 0.3%. On a Losmandy/Gemini and others you simply select the Solar tracking rate. On a Meade Autostar you custom change the tracking rate by -3.

What do you do with a Vixen Sphinx / Starbook driven system?

Glenn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics