Photo

Lunar Impression- Plato At Sunset 07-15-90

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

I observed the moon from 1:45 AM ~ 3:00 AM July 15th. Roughing in the entire half phase moon and the crater Plato, while seeing conditions were a near 10. Balmy temperatures allowed a comfortable observing and sketching session, yet I never finished the work till yesterday, referring to photos I took through the eyepiece.

10.1" Dobsonian
32mm plossl eyepiece
9.7mm eyepiece
6mm Orthoscopic eyepiece

Sketched on Fabriano Tiziano 40% cotton cloth 20" X 25" black pastel paper with various pastel chalks and white Conte.

I added an my usual foreground art feature with figures this time into the next post (I hope that this is permitted for the sketch forum; or inform me if not, I'll move it to the Art Forum. Thanks,

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image

I deliberated long about adding this foreground of imagining being at the surface of Plato at sunset.

Mark

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Mark,

Incredibly awesome!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Your capture of the crater Plato is wonderful as is the extending long shadow in the middle. In your second post with the astronauts I really love the reflections and how you mirrored the same reflection in each visor. A great tribute to 40 years ago!

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Mark,

Always a beautiful masterpiece from you. I really like your use of blue and the moon walkers in the second sketch looks great. :cool: :bow: :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

great sketch, i like the long jagged shadows across the floor of Plato bravo.

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Execellent sketch of Plato and the waning quarter Moon Mark! :waytogo: That segment of Plato's broken rim really develops into a Monster spike of shadow. Nice catch of Plato's sheep, Mons Pico and the Teneriffes.

I like your imaginary scenes, they add an element of human drama to the sketch, quite in keeping with the 40th Anniversary Celebration of Man's Landing. ;)

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thank you Jay, Frank, Tommy and Rich

It was not my original intention but I thought that I should pay some homage to the fact of the moon landing anniversary. I had a million ideas floating around. I guess I could get more productive and put them all onto the paper soon? Expect to see much more work ahead :cool: I had intended for it to turn out more abstract but my surreal/representationalism got in the way :question: :tonofbricks:

It was also my first use of this Fabriano Italian paper that I am not accustomed to or practiced with as yet. I thought it was similar to Strathmore Artagain or Stonehenge paper. I took it as a second choice as the large sheets of Strathmore Artagain were out of stock. It has cotton fiber like the Stonehenge (which by the way I find now as the ultimate choice in pastel paper) and blue dye in it, and I was not aware that it is not color-fast until I wiped some smudges off yesterday with a dampened paper towel. The towel bled indigo blue. Yet this is black paper! There is also a pressed or embossed fine but rough lines into one side, similar to an oil paintng canvas; the back is smooth like Artagain paper. I also just learned that while reading up on the Fabrianoo product that Stonehenge pastel paper (made in the US) is 100% cotton fiber. I will never complain about the high quality of American made art products again.

I would recommend that anyone of you, regardless of your personal perceived level of sketching, try these professional papers. You may find that paper quality can have a great effect on your sketching quality as the surface imparts a different level of how it holds the chalk; how it blends, etc. It is more like making a fine oil painting on a canvas. Your sketching quality may be so enhanced as to aim for the stars! :poke: :question: :)

A large sheet of Stonehenge (100% cotton fiber) in 22" X 30" runs about $2.80 where the Fabriano (40% cotton fiber) in 19" X 25" is about $1.80.

Paper description sites >
Company site>
http://www.fabriano..../_prodotti.html

Art Supply Site for Stonehenge >
http://www.dickblick...onehenge-paper/

Mark

As an artist, I am but merely only one of Plato's Sheep.
-M 2009

#8 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Mark, that is a tremendous effort. The cumulative effect of the many scales and views is mind-bending.

"... one of Plato's sheep." -- Oh yeah. I've done Plato several times, it keeps pulling me back. It's different each time.

#9 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Great drawing :)

I really like the impression it gives ...

#10 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

Good God Mark do you sleep? :poke: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Mark,

Excellent observations and space art scene of Plato. You have captured this crater very nicely. The astronauts look at home exploring the crater. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

Thank you Tom, Michael, Shannon and Carlos

I'll try to answer in detail later, I have to run out to observe Jupiter . . . sorry I am side-tracked lately with other obligations so I don't respond promptly at times.

John Dobson is staying near here for some weeks of his telescope building classes so we may be obligated to see him and do some sidewalk astronomy with the public in the coming days of the waxing moon.

I'll try to sketch as time allows,

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics