Photo

Is there any other options other than G11 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

I am finding for the price, quality, and load capacity, the G11 is hard to beat once you add the Ovision worm.

Is there really anything else out there besides this mount for the price? Sounds like a great deal to buy one used and add the worm for AP work. With the latest version firmware for Gemini, it sounds like it has a Polar align routine that is fairly accurate too? Is it like the Celestron version or better?

Any suggestions welcome.

S

#2 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

Only talking about the polar alignment routine the Celestron rountine is the better of the two.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

It depends on the CGE routine. If it's the older version, they are about the same (I've used both). However, if it's the newest version that Celestron has come out with, then it's the better of the two.

But don't discount the Gemini routine. To get it working exceptionally well, I've done 2 iterations which is what I did with the older CGE. Gets you darn close!

David

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

It depends on the CGE routine. If it's the older version, they are about the same (I've used both). However, if it's the newest version that Celestron has come out with, then it's the better of the two.

But don't discount the Gemini routine. To get it working exceptionally well, I've done 2 iterations which is what I did with the older CGE. Gets you darn close!

David

Unless it's a very old CGE with a non-programmable HC, it's easy to update the old to the new. Even then, you can use NexRemote and gain all the advantages of a new hc.

#5 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

David

Unless it's a very old CGE with a non-programmable HC, it's easy to update the old to the new. Even then, you can use NexRemote and gain all the advantages of a new hc.

Yeah and without having to change chips :grin:

#6 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the info on the Celestron polar firmware.

I am getting the impression so far that there is nothing else to match the G11 with the OVISION upgrade in this price point given this level of precision, load, and quality.

If you have any other thoughts about it, please don't be shy to add your input.

S

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

You might want to look for a Doc Clay Supercharged CGE. Make sure that the firmware is updated and you'll have a very nice imaging mount.

David

#8 Kaizu

Kaizu

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

Why to buy supercharged CGE if standard G-11 can do same. Or is the PE then smaller than 5" or is it much cheaper?

Kaizu

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

Either/or. The OP asked for alternatives and certainly, the CGE, especially a supercharged version, is a very good alternative. Replace the lousy stock cables with a set of Marty cables and it's a very good imaging/visual mount.

David

#10 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Either/or. The OP asked for alternatives and certainly, the CGE, especially a supercharged version, is a very good alternative. Replace the lousy stock cables with a set of Marty cables and it's a very good imaging/visual mount.

David

Agreed and some of us think the CGE goto system is better than what comes with the G-11. The G-11 if you do all of the upgrades, worm, spacer, gearboxes and heftier motors put the cost up by around a $1000. Then your getting closer to another class of mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics