3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Greenwood

Andrew Greenwood

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Hello all

I have recently purchased a TeleOptic Mini Giro for my William Optics ZS66, which enables me to take my equipment overseas very easily. My selection was based on the excellent feedback from various posts within Cloudy Nights.

The mount is wonderfully made - reassuringly solid. However, I am finding the altitude and azimuth movement to be a little sticky and not as smooth as I would like. Admittedly I am not using a counter weight on the Giro, but the ZS66 with eyepiece isn't overly heavy.

I'd appreciate it if other users might let me know how they find the motions of the Mini Giro so I can judge as to whether I should consider requesting a replacement.

Many, many thanks in advance ...

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

The sample I had was very smooth. Azimuth motion worked well with a WO66D and even a TV-76 without a CW bar. Altitude balance was a little trickier for the WO 66D. I added another dovetail bar to the built in dovetail foot in order for the ota to be moved further forward to accomodate balancing LVW eyepieces and a 1.25 diagonal.

I assume you loosened the tension knobs sufficiently and have the 66mm ota balanced. What dealer did you purchase the mini from?

#3 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Mine was super-fluid smooth. No resistance at all when the tension knobs were backed off. I'd think stickiness is a fault, myself.

#4 Andrew Greenwood

Andrew Greenwood

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thank you Jim and Spyke for your responses.

To answer your questions, Jim, yes the knobs are loosened completely and the OTA is I'd say just a little off balance, but not too much. The mount came from Teleskop Service in Germany.

Regards
Andrew

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics