Photo

Wierdball issue with ASGT mount - Where's Jupiter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

A couple of nights ago I had a wierdball situation occur. I had good alignment and had been using the mount for about 2 hours. Earlier in the evening I had pointed the scope towards Jupiter. I decided I wanted to go back to Jupiter to watch a transit but the hand controller no longer gave me the choice of going to Jupiter. All it showed was Saturn. All of the other objects (DSOs and stars) worked fine. A little later the moon had risen but the hand controller did not identify the moon either. Again, I had no problems slewing to DSOs and starrs. Wierd!

Was this a possible low power issue or something else?

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

That's a time/date/time zone/location error. It didn't know that Jupiter or the Moon were above the horizon.

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

I had a similar unexplainable issue recently with mine. It would do a near perfect goto on anything I tried including the moon but if I punched up Polaris it would slew to about a 30 degree downward angle about 30 degrees east of Polaris....Never done it before and not since. Weirdness.

#4 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

A couple of nights ago I had a wierdball situation occur. I had good alignment and had been using the mount for about 2 hours. Earlier in the evening I had pointed the scope towards Jupiter. I decided I wanted to go back to Jupiter to watch a transit but the hand controller no longer gave me the choice of going to Jupiter. All it showed was Saturn. All of the other objects (DSOs and stars) worked fine. A little later the moon had risen but the hand controller did not identify the moon either. Again, I had no problems slewing to DSOs and starrs. Wierd!

Was this a possible low power issue or something else?

If it wasn't the date/time/location, then maybe some Northern Hemisphere/Southern setting got changed by accident? I saw another post here along these lines and that was the culprit.

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

And one other possibility to those mentioned by John and Gary ... if the filter limits are set incorrectly you'll get that same behavior. Basically the scope is saying to you "according to me Jupiter and the Moon are not above the horizon or the artificial limit you've set".

You might do a reset factory settings, then carefully go through time, date, location, and time zone settings. It's also a good idea to ensure that you've go plenty of power (don't assume).

#6 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

Thanks folks for the responses!

I don't think the filters are the issue as I had slewed to Jupiter earlier in the evening when it was lower on the horizon and it went right to it.

If it was a date/time/location issue then why was everything else such as Messiers and double stars coming up almost dead center in my field of view when I would slew to them?

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

If it was a date/time/location issue then why was everything else such as Messiers and double stars coming up almost dead center in my field of view when I would slew to them?

That's the clue. After alignment, the controller doesn't rely on those data to locate celestial objects, only for Solar system objects.

#8 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

That's the clue. After alignment, the controller doesn't rely on those data to locate celestial objects, only for Solar system objects.

Now I'm tracking! Thanks John! I'll go back through my settings, if I don't see it I'll take Mark's advice and go back to the factory settings and start over!

Thanks everyone! Yet another quick solution from the CN collective mind :bow:

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

Amen. When you have problems like these, always check your HC data entry.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics