Solar Tracking on a Celestron CG-5 Mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hanchennz

hanchennz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

I'm a college student working on a summer project at Tufts University. I'm building a solar concentrator which can be used to field test photovoltaic (solar) cell designs.

The solar concentrator needs to track the sun over the course of a day for maximum concentration. For this purpose, I purchased a Celestron CG-5 Computerized Mount to put the concentrator on.

I purchased the NexRemote software package because I need to control the mount remotely. I will not be able to access the concentrator at all times (the concentrator is sitting on the roof of the building).

I was hoping that I could align the telescope and then use the automatic slewing option to find the sun each morning. While the mount offers solar tracking, the sun is not in its database of celestial objects. I cannot aim the sun manually each morning, and I don't a telescope/eyepiece to do this.

Is there any way I can add the sun into the Telescope's or the NexRemote Control software's database? I know this isn't astronomy related, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Under Utilities on the Hand Control, there should be a Sun Menu that will activate the sun as an object.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Like Gary says. They hide it and make you specifically enable it so that you don't accidentally go-to the sun and burn your retina out.

#4 hanchennz

hanchennz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thanks guys. I thought that the Sun menu only added the solar alignment option instead of adding it to both.

Another question, what is the difference between "Identify" and "Precise GoTo"?

Right now, I just align the telescope, put the tracking speed on solar, use Identify to get to the sun, and then leave it and it should do it's job?

Thank you so much :)

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Not having done any solar work, I can only guess. But my first guess is that you need to do a very precise polar alignment at night with a telescope and reticule eyepiece to have the mount correctly aligned. Hibernate the mount when alignment is complete. After that, my next guess would be to install your instrument on the mount, wake it up from hibernation, update time/date and GoTo the Sun. It should track it precisely from thereon.

#6 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area, WA, USA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Not having done any solar work, I can only guess. But my first guess is that you need to do a very precise polar alignment at night with a telescope and reticule eyepiece to have the mount correctly aligned. Hibernate the mount when alignment is complete. After that, my next guess would be to install your instrument on the mount, wake it up from hibernation, update time/date and GoTo the Sun. It should track it precisely from thereon.

There are also finder units that you can use during the day to point and align the scope on the sun, without having to actually look at the sun (principle of nulling out the shadow of a stick).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics