Photo

Nexstar SE vs ASGT for Planetary Imaging?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 niplater

niplater

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

on the uk ebay site i notice a nexstar 8 se mount only.i was thinking of buying this for my flt110 apo,for webcam imaging of jupiter,mars,etc.my present mount,a vixen gp,can barely handle the hefty apo so i wonder what would have the best very high power tracking.i could buy a new celestron as-gt for around £550.the used nexstar se mount is around £200 at the moment but i read in a few reviews that it does not track as well as a good eq mount.

cheers,phil

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

You might be able to get the Nexstar mount to work, maybe OK for webcam imaging, but the CG5ASGT will work very well and is an outstanding value. It will also serve should your imaging aspirations increase.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

Phil, That 110mm refractor would likely have a problem on the SE mount when it's pointed towards the zenith. 80 and 90mm scopes are a tight fit between the rear of the scope (depending on what's hanging off there) and the base of the mount below the SE's fork arm. Yes there are ways to mitigate this issue somewhat (a sliding dovetail bar for example) but there just isn't that much room to work with when working with longer scopes.

I'll second Luigi's suggestion that the ASGT would give you a lot of future capabilities with no such restrictions.

#4 Chase McNiss

Chase McNiss

Vostok 1

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

A few years back when I was having back troubles, I purchased the Nexstar SE to do lunar imaging with a webcam. I have to say that it worked OK, but I did not have the scope wedge mounted and was limited in the length of my video before I started to get rotation.

I should also note that I seldom got great results, ususlly good and this was at F20 only. I was extremely happy with the 8" SCT optical tube for both visual and imaging resolution, the weak point in the system was the mount. I do not think it was designed with serious imaging in mind.

I now have that same 8" optical tube on an ASGT mount and I am very happy with the results. I consistantly image at f30 or above, although I have been doing more visual astronomy of late.

With the longer fulcrum arm of a refractor, I doubt that the Nexstar mount will provide optimum results for the planets.

Good luck
Chase

#5 niplater

niplater

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

thanks everyone for your excellent replies. celestron as-gt it is then!

cheers,phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics