11 replies to this topic

#1 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hey guys,
I am looking for some suggestions about tripods for a 3.5kg refractor (plus diagonal and eyepiece of course)

#2 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I used a Manfrotto 028 with a Manfrotto 503HDV head when I had my TV85. Nice grab and go set up.

I have two 028's for my scopes and binoculars. The heads are AYO alt/az,503 HDV and 701HDV.

I like the centre column crank on the 028. Not the cheapest units,but just right for me.

#3 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

thanks a lot for the info , bur im interested in a more affordable head...

#4 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:16 AM

any other suggestions?

#5 steveeb

steveeb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Murrieta, CA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Why not buy an alt-az? I used to use an old, all aluminum Velbon tripod for my 3.4kg Vixen 80ED and it worked ok except:

1. the clamp for the alt axis was too weak and inaccurate. When a target was found and the clamp tightened, there was enough play that as soon as you let go, you'd loose the target in your eyepiece. This was especially bad when I used my heavier eyepieces.
2. the aluminum legs were extremely flimsy so any slight touch or breeze would cause major vibrations.

These two issues were very frustrating to me. My suggestion would be skip the photo tripod and just get yourself a alt-az mount. To get a photography tripod that will work as well, you'll be paying the same price if not more.

#6 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

the problem is that I want to use my camera with it.

#7 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

any other suggestions?

I use a Manfrotto 028B tripod with a Manfrotto 501HDV head. It works great with my Fujinon 16x70 binoculars with an Oberwerk "C" bracket and red dot finder (about 5.5 lbs. total load). The head is rated for 13.2 lbs. and the counter-balance spring balances an 8 lbs. load. I think it should handle your refractor ok.

The head plus tripod is about $440 from the big NYC camera stores, so that's a lot cheaper than the 503HDV! :)

#8 Maureen

Maureen

Geek Mom

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Consider the Vixen porta mount. Check the Equipment forum. There are two threads about it there - with pros and cons. One of them is titled "Tripod and Mount for ST 80."
Maureen

#9 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

what do you say about this http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

#10 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

what do you say about this http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

That's the Manfrotto 501HDV head, but not a Manfrotto tripod. It's an "eImage" tripod, whatever that is. It's cheaper, but I have no idea if the tripod is any good and you can probably forget about getting replacement parts if something breaks. My practice is to stick with known brands that can supply service if needed. I've gotten replacement parts directly from Bogen/Manfrotto so I know I can trust them.

#11 MARKOS

MARKOS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

you are right i should have thought of that, thanks.
Do you know any cheaper brands to supply tripods?

#12 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

you are right i should have thought of that, thanks.
Do you know any cheaper brands to supply tripods?

Well, I usually recommend Gitzo photo tripods and for a cheaper brand I recommend the Manfrotto. I can't in good conscious recommend anything cheaper, as my experience over the past 20 years of photography is that buying cheap tripods is penny-wise and pound-foolish. In order to save money in the Manfrotto line you would have to drop down to the 190XDB which is much less expensive. But that is only rated for 5 kg which may not be enough for stable astro performance.

I've read good reports on Benro, Induro and Giottos as bargain tripod brands, but I cannot vouch for them personally.

EDIT: You can take a look at this article by photographer Thom Hogan as to why buying a cheap tripod is not the right thing to do. Buy the right thing the first time and you don't waste money replacing it. The specifics apply to cameras and not telescopes, but I think the point is clear:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics