Mars 26/07

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

the weather cleared up since long here, and i had the chance to observe Mars & Jupiter this morning.

the Jupiter sketch, without the Wesley Impact Mark, will be posted later on, but here's the sketch of Mars.

there was actually quite a bit of detail to be seen, but with such a small target i find it still dificult to 'transport' it to paper.

i could not discern a north polar cap, but the south polar region was very bright. the following edge was mottled with limb brightening, one semi-circular feature extending a bit further into the disc. i think there was also some brightening around the north polar region, but don't think it's an ice cap.

the seeing was pretty good at 26° heigth (and to think Mars will rise nearly three times as high the coming months! :cool:) so i could push the power to 400x. using the red and green filter helped a lot to bring out details.

a dark region stretched across the middle of the disc, with 2 darker 'condensations/spots' just left and right of centre. to the left of the npr was also a darker smudge.

i have to sharpen up my sketching skills after almost a year and half. i'm not very happy about the color and smudging!

Posted Image

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Kris,
I think your sketch is wonderful, and that you did an excellent job capturing the details you mentioned. I look forward to seeing your Jupiter sketch.

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

Great sketch of mars, lots of detail on such a small orb.

#4 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

thanks for the kind words Jay & Tommy!

here's the Jupiter sketch from this morning.

i had just been watching Jupiter about five minutes when out of nothing ganymede crossed out of the disk in the dark. i was amazed how fast this happened, really gives a nice dynamic feeling! i don't think i could've detected the sattelite when still on the disk.
i could see a rift in the NEB plus 2 festoons between the belts.

i tried the apodizing mask, and edge mask, just to see what it would do. the apodizing mask keeps impressing me, it gives a serious contrast boost imo. the edge mask is also somewhat helpfull, but i need to do a more thorough check on these things. (i didn't test them out on Mars, too small a target to gain a benefit i think :p)

Posted Image

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Great sketches, Kris. I went out last night and was going to sketch Jupiter. However, due to clouds and well, as we have discussed, sketch and scoot is almost impossible at 250x mag. Still, the view was spectaculer seeing Europa's shadow riding on Jupiter's surface as my scope went in and out of focus due to high clouds. :bawling:--- :bow: :bow:

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Kris,

Excellent observations of Mars and Jupiter. You have recorded an impressive amount of detail over both planets. I have identified the major albedo over Mars in your fine observation. Jupiter shows much detail, especially over the North Equatorial Belt (NEB). It must have been neat to watch Ganymede pop out behind Jupiter. Thank you for sharing them with us all. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

Attached Files

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Shannon, too bad you weren't able to sketch Jupiter, it was a pretty nice view indeed :)

sketch and scoot is almost impossible at 250x mag

though it's not very easy, but if you practice you can sketch and scoot at magnifications up to 400x! that's what i did with the mars sketch, but perhaps it's easier with an 8" then with a 12" scope :question:

Carlos, wow, thanks for putting your time and effort in identifying those features! :cool: :bow:
now if i could only actually see that much so detailed :grin:
seems like i've also got to brush up my knowledge of areas and names on mars as well :lol:

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Kris,

Two excellent planetary sketches! :waytogo: The detail in your Jupiter sketch is outstanding and the Mars sketch is a great rendering of the eyepiece view of the tiny Martian disk. Carlos's labeled version shows just how many features you were able to detect. Learning (and relearning) the names of the Martian albedo features is an enjoyable task, made easier with the assistance of our resident expert on the Red Planet. :bow:

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Kris,

I have always said your planet sketching is really impressive. These sketches are among them. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#10 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

Kris,

Wonderful sketches!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#11 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Kris these are just terrific sketches! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: Your Mars is so well rendered, the number of discreet features is just amazing over such a small disk. Your martian colors are spot on. Lovely albedo features and limb haze.

Jupiter is just filled with detail, very cool to see all the details within the bands! I always enjoy seeing your superb work Kris! :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics