Photo

GEQ consideration - is EQ5 Pro good enough?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Dob, ballscope guy with PortaMount experience seeking information on Sky-Watcher 100ED EQ5 Pro ED Refractor Telescope w/Syn-Scan for $1100.

Is the mount reputable? I'm assuming the guts are the same as the somewhat matching Orion one. Fine with the 100ED?

Not that I'm interested in it at the moment, but is any astro-imaging possible with this set-up?

Any first-hand accounts or generalized knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! - j

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hey, I know this isn't the Bentley of mounts, but no opinions at all? - j

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

nuttin'?

#4 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'd check for the SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro, (a.k.a. Orion SkyView Pro)..it is a different mount than that EQ5Pro and it will hold an 8" SCT and ST-80 (Orion) for a guidescope very comfortably. Max load capacity, less counterweights is 40 lbs. The mount is designed for astrophotography and it works very well for me. I'd be skeptical about the EQ5-Pro, it might not be "heavy-duty" enough. Consider your future accessories you want to put on your mount, ie. total weight.

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

Dob, ballscope guy with PortaMount experience seeking information on Sky-Watcher 100ED EQ5 Pro ED Refractor Telescope w/Syn-Scan for $1100.

Is the mount reputable? I'm assuming the guts are the same as the somewhat matching Orion one. Fine with the 100ED?

Not that I'm interested in it at the moment, but is any astro-imaging possible with this set-up?

Any first-hand accounts or generalized knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! - j

The mount is fine and more than enough for that scope.
Additionally, that price is a great price.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics