Photo

Nexremote and TheSky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 skyguy55

skyguy55

Mariner 2

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hi There,

I have just managed to get Nexremote to control my CGE OK. I seemed to have got TheSky working OK as well but when I try and slew to an object, I get an error message saying that the scope must be initialized. I went to TheSky (Bisque) web site still for help but still no joy. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to get this working? I am using the latest version of NexRemote.

Thanks for your help!

Gregg

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi There,

I have just managed to get Nexremote to control my CGE OK. I seemed to have got TheSky working OK as well but when I try and slew to an object, I get an error message saying that the scope must be initialized. I went to TheSky (Bisque) web site still for help but still no joy. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to get this working? I am using the latest version of NexRemote.

Thanks for your help!

Gregg

I suspect your problem may be that you are using the wrong comm port setting. The process goes like this:

1. Turn on the mount, and start up NexRemote.

2. Set the VIRTUAL comm port in the drop down on the HC. This must be something OTHER than the REAL comm port NR is using to communicate with the scope.

3. Align the CGE with NR as per normal.

4. Start TheSky. Connect to the CGE via the proper driver and using the comm port number you set as the VIRTUAL comm port.

;)

#3 freestar8n

freestar8n

Skylab

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

3. Align the CGE with NR as per normal.

Hi-

I would just add to Rod's directions that you won't be able to use TheSky for the alignment and calibration process. I'm not sure if that was your original problem - but as Rod's item 3 says - you use NR by itself, without TheSky, to align the mount. Then when NR says 'CGE Ready' you can connect TheSky and talk to the mount.

Now - there is a way to use TheSky for the alignment process if you really want to - but normally you just use NR.

Frank

#4 skyguy55

skyguy55

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Uncle Rod and Frank for your help!

I think I was using the H/C and trying to use NR together. I used hibernate to put the mount away with the H/C and then tried to wake it up using NR which of course didn't work. Another problem I had was the Celestron GPS unit. I couldn't tell if it was connected to a satellite or not and wouldn't produce any accurate GOTOs. I figured out last night that it takes a few minutes for the Celestron GPS to connect and then shows in the H/C that you are connected. I was used to using EQMOD and at that time my Skywatcher GPS was a bit more responsive.

Anyway I was able to get the GPS to work, NR is working, TheSky6 is talking to the mount, and MaximDL is nicely looking after everything. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to run MaximDL!!

Thanks again Frank and Rod (again) for all your help.

Gregg

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics