TheSkyX and Atlas--how???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

For some reason, I can't seem to find a full answer to my quandary: I have an Atlas EQ-G mount with the dual axis controller (not the SynScan controller). I am currently controlling the mount using Cartes du Ciel via ASCOM. I have EQMOD installed and am connecting to the mount via a straight-through serial cable and an EQDIR, both of which I purchased from Shoestring. Everything works.

I can't find any mention of ASCOM on Software Bisque's site, so I guess EQMOD is out. Is this correct? Furthermore, their site says that Orion mounts use the Celestron Nexstar GPS drivers. Since there's no EQMOD for Celestron, does this mean that I would have to purchase the full hand controller for my mount? And if not, do I still use the EQDIR and straight-through serial cable, or something else? And if I somehow manage to get TheSkyX controlling my mount, are there any ramifications as far as guiding that I should be aware of? I'm currently using PHD but may switch to Maxim DL.

Thanks!
Tony

#2 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Tony -

I don't have EQMOD but Telescope APIU should work. Here is a link to the ASCOM site describing how to use ASCOM and theSky. Good luck.

Dan in NY

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I think your best bet might be to post your question on the EQMOD Yahoo! User Group. This is an occasional topic that pops up there. Unless Uncle Rod, who knows everything it seems, might know the answer and chime in.

#4 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! The Bisque telescope API looks promising, and I'll snoop around the EQMOD group a little more and post there if I can't get TSX to work.

Tony

#5 markan

markan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

Since there's no EQMOD for Celestron, does this mean that I would have to purchase the full hand controller for my mount? Tony

ASCOM drivers

There's a driver for TheSky

TheSky Controlled Telescope (Paramount, etc., 5.0.3)

Installs a driver that connects to Software Bisque's TheSky 5/6 Astronomy Software and makes it look like a standard ASCOM telescope. This allows ASCOM-based astronomy software to use TheSky (including TPOINT and ProTrack) as a smart telescope controller. For more information see Working with TheSky (section 1). It is required for the Paramount mounts, and may be used with TheSky controlling any other of its supported telescope types. Version 5.0.3 adds control to enable/disable tracking rate offsets. The driver is licensed per Creative Commons.

I use the Celestron driver for my EQ5 Pro mount with AstroPlanner.

Celestron Unified (5.0.14)
Download Installs a driver for all computerized Celestron telescopes. This version has passed the Conformance Checker tests (see this report) and has support for programmably changing pier side.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

I think your best bet might be to post your question on the EQMOD Yahoo! User Group. This is an occasional topic that pops up there. Unless Uncle Rod, who knows everything it seems, might know the answer and chime in.

I SHO don't know everything, but I do know a LITTLE... ;)

And I do know the answer to this one. If you want to use TheSky with EQMOD, you have to rig it up to use ASCOM. You do that basically by using the Telescope API driver to do that.

There are a couple of gotchas...but I believe they are addressed fully in a document on the EQMOD Yahoogroup files section. These involve just a couple of minor file changes that SOME folks may have to make.

Me? While these days I am using EQMOD with SkyTools 3, I've used it a lot with TheSky and it works super.

If you have any problems, let me know. I don't have access to the Yahoogroup from work or I'd summarize the steps needed...but I don't think any of them will be a problme, and you may not need to do a thing other than set TheSky to "Telescope API" and configure ASCOM as per normal.

#7 ericsolo

ericsolo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:31 AM

Unless Software Bisque has changed their minds recently, The SkyX Serious Astronomer Edition doesn't support Telescope API. You have to purchase The SkyX Professional to do that and according SB will be released in September.

Eric

#8 Chris.Baron

Chris.Baron

Viking 1

• Loc: Maple Ridge, British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

Or you can purchase the TheSky Pro v6 which might be older, but is still quite functional. Also, there's no talk of a yearly subscription fee associated with it (unlike TheSkyX). You could get it working now, and then upgrade to TheSkyX Pro at some point if you feel the upgrade price warranted.

Of course, if you're trying to run it on a Mac or Linux enabled machine, TheSkyX is your only choice Bisque wise anyway.

It's a matter of timing. I believe the revised date for TheSkyX Pro is now November rather than September. Whether they make the projected November date remains to be seen.

Cheers,
Chris

#9 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Out there, Way out there

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

A minor correction (I think). There is no annual subscription with any version of TheSky 6; I have TheSky 6 Pro. According to the Bisque website store front, there is an annual subscription for TheSkyX. In effect this is a maintenance fee that will get you regular updates; this is a regular practice with professional software, BUT as we are consumers and not used to this business model it is causing some noise among SB's customers...

James

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics