• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

I just bought a CG5 advanced about 3 years old.
It does not have a Polar Scope...I will be guiding and imaging but I've heard that it's possible to do a Polar Alignment with a routine in the Handset..Once upon a time I had a LXD-75 and I used one star itterative...Is it the same thing and where could I find docs that explian the procedure?

Best Place to buy a Polar scope for this mount?

Also does the worm shaft have end bearings or bushings...
My loads will be no greater than 15 lbs..small refractors and a very light guiding setup...

The LXD had an illuminated poalr scope A small light that threaded into the scope...Are those red led switched lights available anywhere..thinking of taping and threading the area where the polarscope cover is Just behind it

Thanks

Greg

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

If your handset is version 4.xx you can upgrade to the version 4.16 that has the All Star alignment procedure and no polar scope is required. If it is prior to v4 you'll need to upgrade the handset. With the older non-upgradeable, you can still use a polar scope and get good alignments, OPT has great deals and service.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

For general info on firmware and such www.nexstarsite.com. Also download the Advanced Series manual (CG-5) and the Version 4.xx addendum (links are on Mike's site).

Like Gary said ... with the latest firmware there's no need for the polar scope ... yes really.

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

The polar scope that fits the older CG5 is no longer in production. You'll have to find one on the used market. I bought the polar scope twice based vendors' advertised descriptions. Neither time did it fit my CG5. I use the new Polar Alignment program and it works great, especially since I don't have to scrunch down to do the alignment. But I don't do AP.

#5 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

Looks like I have a 4.10 Version of the Handset
I don't think I have a RS-232 Port though on either laptops

#6 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Serial port to USB adapter is the answer. Wal Mart, Staples... very common item.

#7 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

Looks like I have a 4.10 Version of the Handset
I don't think I have a RS-232 Port though on either laptops

Great. You have an upgradable handset!

Here's all you need for your non-serial ported laptops: Link. There are other cheaper USB-Serial adapters, but don't buy anything but this one! Highly recommended by those in the know (from whom I listened and learned). You'll love the Celestron "All-Star" polar alignment routine that requires the 4.16 hand control firmware.

#8 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Guess I got luck with my Staples special...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics