•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher AZ4 azimuth scale direction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 great_bear

great_bear

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

Apologies if this is an FAQ, but...

Am I going mad? The azimuth scale on my new Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount increases in degree units in an anti-clockwise direction.

i.e. if you align 0 with north, and rotate the telescope so the scale increases, the scope moves in a westerly direction.

Isn't that the wrong way around?

Have I misunderstood the way the scale works??

In the picture below, the scale remains stationary, whilst the top of the head is the part that rotates.

Attached Files

#2 great_bear

great_bear

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Surely someone must know the answer to this one? :question:

#3 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Northern hemisphere azimuth starts with north as 0 east 90 south 180 west 270 It all is in a clock wise direction facing south, Look at any aviation map 0-360 degrees west is clockwise!

#4 great_bear

great_bear

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Yes that's what I thought. I wonder why the SkyWatcher AZ4 has the scale going anti-clockwise then?

That's very weird...

P.S. "Northern hemisphere"? - surely the AltAz scale is the same both north AND south of the equator?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics