• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theflop

theflop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

I have an Orion 120ST Astroview telescope and the EQ3 mount that came with it and a motor for tracking. I use it for astrophotography. What would a good upgrade from this mount be if I want GoTo capability and the option for mounting a slightly bigger scope? I am willing to spend :question:$500-900 to spend on a new mount. This purchase should last me for the next couple of years.
Do you guys like the Skywatcher EQ5 Pro or the Vixen GP2 mounts for astrophotography?
Pro and cons?
Thanks! :question:

#2 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

At that price range, go for the CG5 GT as the Nexstar software is seasoned and works very well, especially the polar alignment routine. The EQ5 is a nice mount but the software is not as robust as the CG5, and the Vixen is nice but the software is iffy, especially the starbooks.

#3 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

I have an Orion 120ST Astroview telescope and the EQ3 mount that came with it and a motor for tracking. I use it for astrophotography. What would a good upgrade from this mount be if I want GoTo capability and the option for mounting a slightly bigger scope? I am willing to spend :question:$500-900 to spend on a new mount. This purchase should last me for the next couple of years.
Do you guys like the Skywatcher EQ5 Pro or the Vixen GP2 mounts for astrophotography?
Pro and cons?
Thanks! :question:

If you want a goto GEM in this price class, there are not very many options. Basically your only choices are the Celestron CG-5 ASGT and the Meade LXD-75. Overall they are pretty similar in performance, but since I don't do any imaging I will defer to those with some experience to discuss which is better. If you want to go a notch up in quality and capacity, then the Orion Sirius with goto would be an option for $1200.

The Vixen GP2 with tripod and goto controller ("Starbook S") sells for $1600 new. You may have seen the non goto version for about $700, but that doesn't include the computer controller or the motors. The Vixen definitely has better build quality as compared to the CG-5 ASGT and the LXD-75, but it is also much more expensive.

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

Good price (<$600) for CG5ASGT on the East Coast:
https://www.highpoin...p?idProduct=362

West Coast: http://www.optcorp.c...t.aspx?pid=2060

#5 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

A used Sirius EQ-G might show up in that range; mine has supplanted an LXD-55 then an AS-GT; it's much more robust and tracks very well.

#6 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

I have an Orion 120ST Astroview telescope and the EQ3 mount that came with it and a motor for tracking. I use it for astrophotography. What would a good upgrade from this mount be if I want GoTo capability and the option for mounting a slightly bigger scope?
============================================================
You have several people who recommended a Celestron Advanced Series GT...I agree. But calling it merely an upgrade over your eq3 is a bad choice of words. The Advanced GT is light years ahead of the eq3. As mentioned above, you can buy it new for under $600. It pains me to tell you this because I paid more than $800 for this very mount about 3 years ago.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics