Photo

Lade and Godin (Take 2 on that Stippling Thing)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Here is my second attempt at a lunar sketch with the stippling method. Thank you to everyone who provided useful tips and encouragement after my first attempt!

This time I started with a pencil contour sketch (welcome back, Mr. Eraser, my old friend) and labeled each area with an albedo rating using a scale from 0 (black) to 6 (bright) with five shades of gray in between. The stippling pattern I aimed to use is located at the bottom of the sketch. After that (it still took an hour to lay out the contours on this region) it was back inside to "paint by number." Thank you Rich and Jeremy for your suggestions.

The subjects of this particular sketch are the craters Lade and Godin, located near the center of the Moon's disk as we see it from Earth.

Lade (56 km, across, named after Heinrich E. von Lade, a German banker and amateur astronomer of the 19th century) is the basalt-flooded remains of a ruined impact crater. The south wall has been completely destroyed and the eastern rim is low, thin, and full of gaps. The western wall appears to be a bit more substantial. The crater has a distinctive hexagonal shape.

Just north of Lade is a plateau (24 km across) designated Lade B. This crater, like a miniature version of Wargentin, has been completely filled to the rim with lava.

Godin (35 km, named after Louis Godin, the 18th-Century mathematician from France), in contrast with Lade, is a sharp, well-formed impact crater with terraced walls and a small central peak (hidden in shadows in the sketch, it was just becoming visible as I finished up). The crater is not perfectly circular, however; it is wider at the southern end and narrow at the northern end. An illuminated ridge outside the western wall gave me the impression of a partially opened heart-shaped locket.

Godin (along with Agrippa, a crater to the north) is surrounded by an interesting arrangement of hills and mountains. I particularly enjoyed sketching the peaks west of the crater.

Attached Files

#2 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Masterful!! That is a thing of beauty.

and cramped fingers :)

#3 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

Thanks, Jeremy. Cramped fingers and 6 hours of my life I'll never get back, either! :)

The forum image posting requirements put some serious compression on that thing. Full size can be seen here.

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Man Eric, did you ever climb the learning curve fast! :bow: :shocked: :bow: Incredibly beautiful and accurate sketch of a very rugged and interesting area of the Moon. It sounds like this second go round with stippling was a lot less stressful despite our horizon hugging Moon.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Eric,

The work and concentration that goes into a sketch made this way just wears me out. Once again a most impressive sketch and technique. Great stuff-Eric. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#6 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

Thanks very much Rich and Frank! :)

The most challenging part on this one was laying out the contours at the eyepiece and assigning albedo values (which one pretty much has to do, at least mentally, for any lunar sketch). After that it was smooth (albeit slow) sailing - and the results are much more pleasing, so that helped.

I doubt I'll make these a regular habit due to the time commitment required, but it will be a fun thing to try on various features from time to time.

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

That is a really pretty sketch.

#8 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

I was looking in "Astronomical Sketching" at similer technique
(that example in ink). Yours looks great. :bow:

#9 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Roland and Jim. I had forgotten that "Astronomical Sketching" had a stippling example. I will have to have a look at that.

#10 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Eric,

Both sketches are very well done! I'm impressed with your skill and patience. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :bow: :cool:

#11 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

Excellent job, Eric! I do a fair amount of India Ink sketching, but have never used it for stippling that I can remember. Very impressive rendering. Your dedication really paid off!

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Eric,

An excellent observation of Lade and Godin. You are fast becoming the "Stippling King" although it sounds like it's a title you do not want. Stippling is a technique that is stimulating but does require much preparation and patience. Practicing this technique gives one greater respect for the masters of the art such as the British selenographer Harold Hill ( http://www.baalunars...M_2005_14_3.pdf ). Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

Man Eric, did you ever climb the learning curve fast! :bow: :shocked: :bow:

Eric, I think Rich said it for me. :) This technique gives your drawing a unique feel and look. Thanks to Carlos for the link to Harold Hill.

#14 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Rony, Erika, Carlos and Michael.

I think I ought to complete a few more of these before there is any more talk of coronation... :lol:

I read the little section on stippling in the "Astronomical Sketching" compendium. What I would like to know is which of you authors wrote that section and where is that 10" x 10" sketch! (i.e., show me, now!)

:)

(please...)

#15 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

Twas I Your Majesty! :bow: :bow: :bow:

The sketch Sire:

Attached Files

#16 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Most excellent! We are pleased by your sketch.

...and your alacrity!

#17 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Eric,

Truly masterful. Perhaps someday after a lot more practicing I'll try the moon. I just know I'm not ready for that so I bow in amazement of your Herculean effort! Actually, in all truth you do need to take credit because it shows your mastery of technique and that is called skill which makes you worthy to be crowned.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#18 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Jay, you're waaaaaaaaaaaay too kind. Thank you.

#19 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

wow, i don't even have the courage to attempt such a laborious way of sketching! amazing what you can achieve with this technique :waytogo:

#20 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Kris! :)

#21 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Rich,

An excellent stippled observation of the Moon. The dots are perfectly placed which give the perception of shading and depth. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics