Photo

Assorted Meteorite Cuttings from the Shop!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hi CN'ers and Meteorite Collectors!

Over the last 2 years I have been stockpiling a large quantity of "cherry picked" unclassified stony meteorites. These were handpicked because they had outstanding features that I look for when I collect specimens for my own displays. This includes meteorites with fresh dark crust, orientation and whole stones. Most of these specimens are small because the BIG ones of this quality are too expensive to accumulate in large numbers.

Recently, I acquired a lapidary saw and I started cutting open these stones - hoping to get lucky and find a rare type. I didn't find any rare types, but I did find some nice chondrules, metal flecks, breccias, clasts, veins, and other interesting features. I can't really afford to keep all of these stones now, so I am selling off the bulk of these cuttings. These are whole stones neatly sliced down the middle which can be put back together - this type of cut is great for outreach use. There are also some very nice endcuts and slices. It would take too much time to price and sell these individually, so I am selling them in one large bulk lot. This is a one time deal and I won't be selling another lot like this for a long time. I thought my CN friends might like a discount on it.

Usually, I would sell a lot of this size and quality (227 grams) for about $80-$100. Since I am in a wheeling and dealing mood (and I need to clear out some space), I will sell this entire lot of cuts for $60 shipped! (this price includes shipping to anywhere in the WORLD)

Contact me via PM or email to inquire - meteoritemike@gmail.com

More photos available on request.

Attached Files

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

One of the cut stones showing tons of metal flecks.

Attached Files

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

The lot in this offer is now sold to a lucky CN'er. :)

Thanks for looking and clear skies!

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

:jump: :jump: :jump:

#5 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

followup-the meteorites arrived today, and WOW

-55 pieces
-11 pair so far
-33 more pieces that I am trying to match to their mate-if possible

-many colors, textures, enough to keep my busy for a long while.

edj

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi Ed!

I'm glad you like them. Some of the pieces in there don't have a match - their mate was given away or sold...or is still sitting in my specimen cabinet somewhere. :)

Mark my words, you won't see me selling another lot of small stones that have this level of quality - they are drying up on the market. I culled these over a period of almost 2 years from several large bulk shipments of UNWA material. Stones such as these are still available in singles or small quantities, but finding dozens in one lot for under $100 is impossible now. I'd like to see one of the big importers reveal a secret stash of these stones and flood the market with hundreds of kilos, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen - I just don't think the stockpiles are there any more.

BTW - I think some of those pieces are actually NWA 869, but I can't prove it. Alot of NWA 869 has been inadvertently mixed in with UNWA stocks over the years. Occasionally I cut into an UNWA stone and it looks exactly like NWA 869.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#7 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

But,
if you do ever have a lot of this quality,
I want 'em

edj

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics