Vixen PORTA II Mount Slo Mo Knobs Falling Off

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DugDog

DugDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Temecula, Ca. USA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

Welp, I guess I should have read more before buying the Vixen PORTA II Mount. It seems they have a chronic problem of the slo mo knobs falling off, and today I received my new mount...and in a matter of minutes my knobs had fallen off to the ground.

It's really sad because the rest of the mount seems to be very good "as is".

I have read that some people drill, and tap a set screw into the shafts. Since I have no experience in tapping, I am a little afraid to start.

I sent an email to Vixen support to see if there was any solutions or recommended modifications.

If the set screws were not so small, it might work.

Any suggestions or step by step modifications?

Should I return it?

Thanks,

DD

#2 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

If you like the mount except for that, don't return it.

You can wrap some tape on the shaft to add friction. Or, buy some flexible cable knobs that have a built in set screw. They show up used all the time.

http://www.agenaastr.../pama-an-cs.htm

#3 Edwin

Edwin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:31 AM

Orion UK sells a full aluminum replacement set which connects to the mount by either a small allen head screw or by small thumb screw. The set cost GBP 35 (excl. shipment).

See link: Orion UK

#4 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

I replaced mine on my Porta I with the set screw type. Funny, I thought the II had this change incorporated. I wouldn't get rid of the mount for something that can be corrected so easily. I still have mine.
Wad.

#5 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Get the vixen Flexiable cables from OPT with the set screws Vixen Part Number 8800 " 300mm Fine Adjustment Flexiable handle" The set screw top has been changed to plastic but the screw part is still metal. I have a porta 1 Mount and the first thing I did was replace the slo-mo knobs with these . This is a good mount I have my Brandon 94 mounted on it , my only complaint is i have to use Vibration isolation pads with it ( which I all ready had)

Attached Files

#6 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

"Maybe" they sent you the wrong Porta as my Porta II comes with set screws on the flex shaft slo mo cables.
Reading your post it say KNOBS, you got knobs you got shaf%#@,,, well can't say here as I don't want to upset the Mods.
Vixen might have packed the wrong stuff with the mount, they are not free from mistakes.
m2

#7 DugDog

DugDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Temecula, Ca. USA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

I figured out a repair to keep the knobs from falling off!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any questions? I think that covers it! The knobs don't fall off any more! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

#8 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

After seeing your photos I see you call the flex shaft cables knobs.
For a more permanent solution to this problem is once you get the set screw to make a mark of the shaft take a small flat file and file a groove onto the mounts shaft/s for the set screw to sit in OR take a drill and bit to make a depression for the set screw to fit in.
m2

#9 Maureen

Maureen

Geek Mom

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

I sent them an email about the problem and they responded the next day. They are sending me new knobs. Mine came with knobs which work fine on my ST 80 , if they wouldn't fall off.
Here's a picture. This is what I ordered. I did not order the longer cables.
Maureen

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics