4 replies to this topic

#1 astroalex

astroalex

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Buggy Florida

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

I know the iOptron Mini-Tower uses a "two" star alignment procedure, but do you also NEED to use the "up and right" technique as well to get a really good alignment like what's needed on the CG5, C6SE, C8SE and others?

Also, if you have this mount, do you think the legs are strudy enough for it? I plan to use an AT6M MCT on this mount that will weight 15 lbs.

Thank you for any advice or help you may offer. :)

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

I don't recall anyone mentioning a need to use the Celestron "up and right" procedure while doing alignments on the MT. There has been a discussion as to whether to loosen the Alt and Az locks and move to alignment stars that way (depending on how far you need to move the scope) or use the Alt/Az adjustment arrow keys. What I have found is that if you choose to loosen the locks and get close to centering the star that way, always use the arrow keys to do the final centering adjustments. Otherwise your tracking may be off. Also, after the two-star alignment, go to another star/object, do a "Sync to Target", and center the star/object with the arrow keys. You should be good-to-go from there.

People have put some pretty heavy stuff on the MT, so I think you will be ok. If you are using the supplied counterweight, you may need to use a heavier one to get things balanced in Az.

#3 astroalex

astroalex

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

Thank You johnpd. Much appreciated!

The only other thing that concerns me, at least a little, is that there have been some quality control issues with the "GPS" receiver being somewhat unreliable, which I heard was some loose pc board connections going to the board. Can anyone comment on their personal experiences with this issue, or even if the mount has been working fine from the get go. Guess what I would like to hear is some "positive" feedback that basically says that this mount is "aok" and works just fine, every time.

FWIW, during my working career was an electronic tech and absolutely understand that when something "new" hits the streets, it usually has some operating concerns. Problem usually is, it's the "first batches" of stuff that have the most headaches and the mfg just lets the buyer suffer it out with the repairs/upgrades and return shipping costs.

Lastly, if you own this mount and would like to chat some about it and how it works, please do! I would love to hear of anybodies experiences with it, good or bad.

Thanks to all. :)

#4 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

There is a connector to the GPS board that can be loosened in shipping. Mine was like that. Following the experts I gave the little connector a little twist and it has worked fine since, no recurrence.
I really like the tracking. It allows me to focus more on observing and is a definite plus for sharing views with public and neighbours.
If you join the Yahoo! group you can fill your boots. In short the mount is excellent value for the money and fills niche that is right for a lot of people. If you do encounter problems they will likely be resolved quickly.
Wad.

#5 astroalex

astroalex

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like an easy fix. And Thank You for how you are doing with it too. Much appreciated Waduino! This is the kind of feedback that I was hoping for regarding the MT's performance.

BEST! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics