• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Agent M27

Agent M27

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa ,FL

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

I just picked up an Orion Sirius EQ to mount my Orion 80ED. The tripod it comes with is plenty for AP since the scope is so light, but I wanted to have a project. I am making a portable pier. I have a 6" OD x 48" steel pipe. My question is how high should I make the pier? I don't have the mount yet, but I wanted to get started on some drawings in Solidworks. I see a lot of piers at around 42", but don't know what would be the most comfortable. The tube isn't the most portable I know and thats why I was hoping I could cut it down. I was also planning on making somewhat of a coffered design to shed some lbs. As it stands it is 80lbs... :help: Thanks in advance and clear skies.

Joe

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

If you have Solidworks, model you on a chair next to the scope and see what works.

#3 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

Joe -

Do you plan to use this primarily for AP or visual? Do you hope to move to other scopes on the same mount? Genrally taller is better for refractors but not newtonians. SCTS are somewhere in between. Carefully think through how you plan to use it and then follow Luigi's advice to create a model.

Dan in NY

#4 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

You need to consider how you enjoy viewing. Do you stand or sit when you observe. Everything that has been said in the above Posts are very important. Your Pier should be the height that you determine after all those items are taken into consideration. It is your call. Start tall as you can always cut it shorter.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics