Photo

Inexpensive mount for C6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hi guys,
I think I've gotten in a bit over my head - I've never bought a telescope before and have only experienced pretty low end ones. After becoming OBSESSED with buying a telescope recently I finally got a C6 OTA this morning sans visual back/diagonal for what I thought was a really good price (turns out it's still a good price but nothing great). Now I have to buy a mount but I'm finding out that with a diagonal, visual back, eyepiece, and mount I'm very quickly going over my budget :(

Anyone know of the most inexpensive mount I can use? I'd like to stay around $100 if possible.
FYI this will be used about half and half for looking at the amazing views out my back yard and for astronomy viewing.

Thanks! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#2 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Try to find a used Microstar on AstroMart or one of the other light mounts from Universal Astronomics. It may be slightly over your budget but they're cheap and well made.

Another option is a version 1 William Optics EZTouch, still over your budget but very good.

Otherwise just start looking for a used Vixen, Orion, Celestron or whichever low cost brand Alt-Az with aluminum legs on AMart, you will find one of those for cheap eventually.

Or for an EQ platform an Orion Astroview (generic is EQ-3 I believe) or an EQ-2 could be found for quite cheap on Astromart.

#3 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

My suggestion is to save your money until you have enough, as the mount is as important (if not more important) than the telescope. Since you don't know too much about astronomy, you will be much better off with an automatic (goto) mount than with a manual mount. Remember, it's a very big sky and unless you are able to find your own targets, you could have many long and fruitless nights.

A Celestron Advanced Series GT is probably the best buy you can find at just under $600. This is a completely automatic mount which will comfortably hold your 6" SCT and will allow you to grow into larger telescopes in the future, as it will also handle an 11" SCT. A tripod is also included with this mount. An Ioptron Cube Pro is less expensive than the Celestron but not as beefy. It is also automatic and comes with a tripod. The cost of this is about $400. The only other thing you can do to save some money is to look for a used Celestron GT. There are many of them around, so it may not be too difficult to find one. If you're lucky, you can find a good one for about $400 or under.

Finally, you can find a manual mount used for a few hundred dollars, but you will need to learn how to target your objects first. Doing this is time consuming and could be difficult.

#4 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

I have a Celestron Advanced Series GT for sale i pm you with the info. http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#5 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:28 AM

Darn, it looks like I made some rookie mistakes here :( I was thinking the mount would only set me back like 200 bucks at the absolute most. So the Orion EQ 1 or 2 for under $200 are completely out of the question here? I really don't know beans about mounts and thought that the package Orion deals with the mounts and optics for under $5/600 was similar to what I was going to put together.

#6 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:46 AM

My first mount was an Alt-Az without any GoTo and I had plenty of enjoyment out of it and with a decent star chart found plenty of objects with it.
If you can't afford a several hundred dollar mount, don't sweat it. Lots of people are going to suggest mounts >$500, but if you can't do it, you just can't, buy something stable that you can afford.
I would avoid an EQ-1, it would probably be more frustrating and ruin your enjoyment. A stable Alt-Az would be a cheap and easy way to start manually learning the night sky. That is the way a lot of people here have gotten to know the sky when they first began.

#7 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

My suggestion is to save your money and don't let some small mistakes take the fun away, your not the first :tonofbricks:we all been down this road good luck.

#8 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

I was adding up all the components and to avoid coming in WAY over budget I think I've decided to go with the a really cheap celestron alt-az for $100. It states that it works well with a C5 so a C6 isn't too much of a stretch I think. Once I've decided to stay with the hobby then that's the first thing I'll upgrade. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice peeps!!

#9 sxinias

sxinias

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

For 200 GBP you can purchase a SkyWatcher SynScan Alt/Az goto mount for your C6. I have my C6S mounted on one and it is a great portable scope. The tripod is rather flexible but is adequate for viewing if you do some simple modificatins (tighten all nuts and bolts, stiffen the leg and leg socket interface with epoxy, etc.) The C6S on the Celestron CG6 mount weighs 56 pounds...movable but not portable.

#10 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

You didn't mention a finder in your original post. If your C6 didn't come wih a finder, you will definitely need a decent finder if you intend to put your C6 on an alt-az mount. And if you live in an area of high dew, you'll need to purchase or build some sort of dew shade for the corrector lens. Sorry to bring up these items, but I've been down this C6 road and you'll be disappointed and frustrated without them. I usually mount the C6 on my go-to Ioptron MiniTower, but that mount is way over your budget. I have mounted the C6 on my Unistar Light Deluxe alt-az mount once or twice and definitely needed my Rigel Quickfinder to aim the scope. You will need a mount that can handle about 12 pounds. I'm being a little conservative with the weight here. Anything less could be a bit unstable, and you will not enjoy this hobby with a shaky mount.
Good luck and clear skies,

Rich
Rochester, NY

#11 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

I think I've decided to go with the a really cheap celestron alt-az for $100. It states that it works well with a C5 so a C6 isn't too much of a stretch I think

That's for the spotting scopes which do not get pointed up towards the sky. The altitude bolt on that type mount tends to slip back with heavier loads. Had the Orion version and would not put anything bigger than a 70mm Short-tube on it.

IMO, cheapest, most effective alt/az mount for the C-6 would be the Skywatcher AZ-4 which has the ota mounted off the side rather than on top, where center of gravity would be too much for the Celestron.

Starts at $199:
http://www.skywatche...tripods-mounts/

A used Astroview or CG-4 should also workout fine for the C-6 and be available for under $200.

Good luck with your search!

#12 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

i think the Skywatcher EQ3 mount could handle the C6, its the same one Celestron calls the Onmi CG4 cepy the skywatcher version has alumimum lehs instead of steel besides that its same.

Joe

#13 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

Desert Sky Astro(desertskyastro.com) DSV-1 mount for $200 with a tripod from Big Binoculars(http://www.bigbinocu...om/tradeins.htm) Wooden Blem model for $75 + shipping.

More than you wanted to spend but this a great portable setup. It works well with a C8 and should be even better with a c6.

#14 lightblaster

lightblaster

Lift Off

• *----

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

Find yourself a Celestron AZ3 alt-az mount to use, then save for the mount you really need. The AZ3 will do until then.

#15 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

You didn't mention a finder in your original post. If your C6 didn't come wih a finder, you will definitely need a decent finder if you intend to put your C6 on an alt-az mount. And if you live in an area of high dew, you'll need to purchase or build some sort of dew shade for the corrector lens. Sorry to bring up these items, but I've been down this C6 road and you'll be disappointed and frustrated without them. I usually mount the C6 on my go-to Ioptron MiniTower, but that mount is way over your budget. I have mounted the C6 on my Unistar Light Deluxe alt-az mount once or twice and definitely needed my Rigel Quickfinder to aim the scope. You will need a mount that can handle about 12 pounds. I'm being a little conservative with the weight here. Anything less could be a bit unstable, and you will not enjoy this hobby with a shaky mount.
Good luck and clear skies,

Rich
Rochester, NY

Fortunately this did come with a finder. Here's the item on Ebay

There really isn't dew where I live except maybe in the coldest nights in the winter so hopefully that won't be a problem. I'm still not quite sure what mount to get but I've been reading a ton and checking out all the ones you guys are suggesting.

#16 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

What do you guys think of mounting this on a used Nexstar 4 mount (there's one on AM for $185 + shipping)? I've read in these forums that some people do this with success. Is that considered a pretty good mount in general and could I use it manually for terrestrial viewing?
Dam this is a tough decision...Are GEMs just a PITA to work with for a beginner? For some reason it looks like they are the cheapest options that can hold a C6.

#17 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

The so-called one-armed-bandit Nexstar mount can not be used manually. It can only be used with its hand control and a power supply. I had the Nexstar 8SE (still have the 8" SCT that came with it) but now I use a GEM and I love it, but it's a powered GoTo mount running $600. My Astro-Tech Voyager alt/az mount is a great push-to mount that can handle a payload in excess of 15 lb, probably 20 but that might be pushing it a bit. It goes for $300 now but you might find a sale. I paid $249 for mine. Don't underestimate the value of a mount. That C6 will show you lots of stuff and you'll want to push the magnification sooner than you think and then stability in a mount becomes really important for lasting enjoyment of your views.

#18 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

I think that a CG3 style mount would work OK for your needs. Try looking on Craigslist in your area. I often see mounts similar to this for sale with cheap reflectors for less than $100.

These mounts are not anything great, but the C6 is not very demanding on the mount at all.

The only serious problem you might have is findind a way to attach the telescope to the mount. Many of these old mounts used mounting tabs to mount the telescoep rings.

Since your scope most likely uses a dovetail, you can often fabricate an interface form a peice of oak. Tap the bottom of the dovtail if it doesn't already have some holes in it, and attach a strip of oak to it.

Mount the telescope by using screws from under the bottom of the tabs to go into the oak strip.

I have done this several times to mount telescopes to these kind of mounts. If you paint the oak strip, you can even make it pretty decent.

The old EQ3 is not a bad mount. Not at all. It looks old fashioned, but it actually works OK. In fact, Celestron I think used to sell the C5 on these for a short while. The C6 is only a bit heavier.

So, shop Craigsist.

CG2 is too small. CG3 is about right.

FYI, I just checked Craigslist in my own town (Austin, TX) and found a Celetron 114 on a CG3 being sold for $125! You see scopes like this all the time!

#19 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Just checked history on used listings at Amart. Found several CG3s that sold in recent months for well under 100 beans. The one it the picture was asking $65.

Personally, I think a CG3 is a far FAR better choice than a cheap Alt Az mount.

Heck, in my world, a CG3 is far better than even EXPENSIVE Alt-az mounts.. LOL.

Attached Files

#20 stinkythegrump

stinkythegrump

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I've finally purchased a mount, I went with a Skyview Deluxe EQ for $120! My main considerations were sturdiness and price over ease of use. I'll let everyone know when it's all set up.
Thanks again to everyone!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics