Photo

Taka TG-LM Modified Alt Mount needs a lift !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Tx.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hey folks,

I am using a Takahashi TG-LM Lapides Modified Altazimuth Mount with my NP 101.

When I point to Zenith the scope hits the tripod. Does anyone know of an adapter to raise the mount? :question:

I know the WO Push To has an accessory shaft that raises the mount from the tripod.

Thanks! ;)

Sean

#2 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

What type of tripod are you using? I know discmount makes a nice extension, don't know if it's compatible with all tripods but it probably would work because I believe DM uses the same 3/8 inch mounting bolt as the Teegul.

otherwise you could try a tripod that comes with a variable height adjustment, I know Berblebach makes some but I dont' know if it would support a 4 inch refractor w/Teegul.

#3 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

Actually I have a Berblebach tripod and it is very stout. :grin:

I also have the 3/8" bolt. Guess it is pretty standard?

Orion has an extension for the Easy Touch. Both should be worth looking into.

Thanks,

Sean

#4 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Sean,

I've been using Teeguls for a long time and with some scopes on some tripods the scope can come in contact with with the tripod. Often, I've found that just rotating the tripod a bit to accommodate what you're looking at overhead will do the trick--or just wait a half hour til the object moves a bit.

Another solution is to go to a local machinist and have him fabricate an extension 3-4 inch long (or whatever the right length may be) out of solid round 2" diameter aluminum stock with a center bore that will accommodate a 3/8" all thread rod. This will allow you to place the extension between the mount and the tripod head and and secure it with the rod and a clamping knob on the bottom and you're good to go. I have a similar setup on one of my tripods with a Teegul. And IMO this is a better solution than the 16" Orion extension because of the Orion's extreme weight.

Not sure what Berlebach you have but most, with a Teegul, will handle your 101 very nicely. Just give it a boost! :D

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

Sean, I had Raul at Desert Sky Astro make an extension for me that has worked extremely well. Give him a shout, Im sure that he can make something for you also...

Sergio

Attached Files

#6 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Sean, I had Raul at Desert Sky Astro make an extension for me that has worked extremely well. Give him a shout, Im sure that he can make something for you also...

Sergio--

Very nice! :waytogo:

#7 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Sergio

that adaptor looks great, how do you bolt the Teegul on top, do you reach into the top part and tighten a bolt??

Did the extension affect the stability at all?? How long is it?? thanks!

#8 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thanks guys!

Sergio,

That looks good. So is there just a 3/8" threaded rod attached to the extension and a female on the other side to attach to the mount?

What length did you go with?

Yeah Phil, I didn't like the weight or unnecessary length of the Orion either. :p

Sean

#9 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys, if my memory serves me well, when I first purchased the Desert Sky Astro EQ head adapter (the silver thingy between the tripod and the extension) it would be held in place by the bolt in the tripod (center bolt) that would have held the EQ head to the tripod. Although this worked and provided stability, when the main bolt was loosened to close the legs, the leg spreader and the DSA EQ head adapter along with the extension would be loose and a pain in the butt to deal with. To fix this I took the tripod and the DSA EQ head adapter to a machine shop and them bolted together. That solved all problems and I was happy with the setup. When this was done setup was extremely quick and easy. Just extend the legs, tighten the leg spreader and mount the scope. Voila, done.

#10 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Scott, it was 8 inches long and it is a 3/8 thread so the Teegul just screws right on to it. The extension did not affect the stability. It forms a rigid and strong column as if it was designed and built that way.

#11 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Scott, it was 8 inches long and it is a 3/8 thread so the Teegul just screws right on to it. The extension did not affect the stability. It forms a rigid and strong column as if it was designed and built that way.

Thanks!!! I am in touch with Raul and I'm ordering one today.

I like the smaller profile of this extensions vs. the Discmount one. Plus everything Discmount seems to have a very high price on it.

#12 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

I have a Discmounts DM-6 and I just love it. I use the Teegul for my small scope because of the slo-mo controls. The extension for the Discmounts is bulkier and heavier. Raul makes some really nice stuff and he is a great guy to deal with. I once had one of his mounts but the lack of slo mo is a no go for me....

Sergio

#13 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have a Discmounts DM-6 and I just love it. I use the Teegul for my small scope because of the slo-mo controls. The extension for the Discmounts is bulkier and heavier. Raul makes some really nice stuff and he is a great guy to deal with. I once had one of his mounts but the lack of slo mo is a no go for me....

Sergio

Sergio - yes, Raul charged me $50 plus shipping, seems like a righteous deal!

So you've got the big equatorial AND a DM6, interesting. I've got an equatorial and Teegul, I"ve been tempted to try a DM6 but have not so far.

I figured I'd rather just carry a little more equipment and use my Mach1 for my bigger scope. But it would be nice to have the faster setup time of the DM6, and I think the whole head only weighs 18 pounds and no counterweights, counterweigh shaft, batteries, hand controller, etc, I think I'm talking myself into it!

#14 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hey Guys,

I ordered an extension from Raul last week. 8" as well.

Looking forward to it! :grin:

Sean

#15 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hi Scott, I was not planning on the EQ but I got a used one for a good price and decided to go for it. I plan on using it at public events because kids always tend to move the scope when mounted on the DM-6. I also plan on using it for high power planetary observation. Although the DM-6 can handle high magnifications with no problem, it is a pain in the butt having to constantly center the planets and moon at high mags. But as far as setup time and having fun during a session, the DM-6 cant be beat. I have it out of my car and ready to go in just 5 minutes. Gotta love it...

Sergio

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics