Photo

Jul09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Jul09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Sketch is our finalist?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

We are very pleased and proud to present the July 2009 Sketching Semi-Finalists in the Imaging/Sketching Contest.

markseibold:

Posted Image

Lunar Pastel Impression of 16.5 ~ 17 Day Old Moon

I began observing the moon through binoculars on Tuesday night July 7th through broken clouds as it rose over a low southern horizon. I was more impressed with the clouds and thought I would include them in the sketch. Then the clouds thickened and my sketching intentions were over. So I returned Wednesday night to much in binocular observation, then through the 10 inch Dobsonian and began to rough in the essential lines. As usual I work too large, so this is the largest attempt at nearly a 16 inch diameter lunar disc sketched onto black 19" X 24" Strathmore Artagain paper. I started with the terminator originally so the sketch should be dated as a 16.5 day old moon although I finished on the 17th day (evening) to add details to the central surface area. I feel that I could complete more details but time becomes an issue. As many ask me, I'll estimate that I spent a total of about 4 1/2 hours on this particular work.

The conditions on both evenings were of quite steady air at approximately 52 degrees F.
The moon looked spectacular even through binoculars. After doing so many near full moon sketches I have indelibly imprinted so many familiar surface features now into my memory. This is surely an exercise that makes one aware of what has been observed. Yet I still do not know all the surface feature names. I just recognize every little crater, mare, mountain ridge and detail now.

kraterkid:

Posted Image

Here's my entry for July 2009:

Kris.:

Posted Image

Aaron:

Posted Image

The Witches Broom

cildarith:

Posted Image

Telescope: Parks Astrolight EQ6 (6" f/6 Newtonian Reflector)
Eyepiece/Magnification: 7.5mm Parks Gold Series Plössl + 2x Barlow (240x)
Observer: Eric Graff
Date/Time: 29 July 2009, 03:05-04:05 UT
Subject: Lade & Godin (Lunar Impact Craters)
Sketch: Black ink stippled on white cartridge paper

Comments: Lade (56 km, across, named after Heinrich E. von Lade, a German banker and amateur astronomer of the 19th century) is the basalt-flooded remains of a ruined impact crater. The south wall has been completely destroyed and the eastern rim is low, thin, and full of gaps. The western wall appears to be a bit more substantial. The crater has a distinctive hexagonal shape. Just north of Lade is a plateau (24 km across) designated Lade B. This crater, like a miniature version of Wargentin, has been completely filled to the rim with lava.

Godin (35 km, named after Louis Godin, the 18th-Century mathematician from France), in contrast with Lade, is a sharp, well-formed impact crater with terraced walls and a small central peak (hidden in shadows in the sketch, it was just becoming visible as I finished up). The crater is not perfectly circular, however; it is wider at the southern end and narrow at the northern end. An illuminated ridge outside the western wall gave me the impression of a partially opened heart-shaped locket. Godin (along with Agrippa, a crater to the north) is surrounded by an interesting arrangement of hills and mountains. I particularly enjoyed sketching the peaks west of the crater.

Please note that voting will conclude on August 8th at Midnight EST.

Many thanks to all who took part in the contest!

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the honor of representing the Sketching Forum in the Sketching/Imaging Contest for July 2009. Any one of the sketches in this fine group could have made us proud in the final vote. I feel privileged to have participated with such a great group of astro-sketchers. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

Rich

Congratulations on your winning this month! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Good luck in the finals!

Mark

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

Congratulations, Rich!. I'll be rooting for you. :)

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

Thank you Mark and Michael! :D Everyone who participated is a winner in my book! :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics