Photo

Two views of Jupiter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

We've had a couple of clear nights in a row which I've used to observe different sides of Jupiter. I ended up with three sketches--one was of the Wesley Impact Scar which I posted in the thread dedicated to that topic. The other two show the Great Red Spot and the start of a transit by Io.

I was fortunate to have unusually good (for here) seeing conditions for the GRS sketch. I was able to get out my 8mm Burgess Optical Planetary ep which always gives good views when the seeing supports 250x. I also took the time to examine Jupiter with my Wratten 56 (green) and W 11 (yellow-green) filters. This improved the contrast and cut the glare. The transparency was above average and I needed something to dim Jupiter a little-it currently shines at magnitude -2.8. Recently, clouds and haze have been dimming it for me, sometimes too much to use a filter to any advantage.

As Sol Robbins observed in his recent sketch, the NEB continues to have lots of bays in it where it is opposite the GRS. I wonder if the one has any effect on the other? There was also a *very* dark barge on the north edge of the NEB. Somehow I missed seeing the dark area just following the GRS which I have seen in images. The North and South Temperate Belts were both visible as well as the North North Temperate Belt--there really is no substiture for good seeing. :cool:

For both sketches, I used my usual HB and 2B pencils and Sol's template on copy paper. The sketch was flipped right to left after scanning.

Attached Files

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

This sketch shows the beginning of Io's transit. Its shadow was preceding it across the face of Jupiter while Io itself hung just off the limb. It looked so striking that I felt like I had to try and capture it.

Something new--I added Io and its shadow digitally using my field notes. It is easy to make the shadow with pencil, but I've never been really satisfied with the results of color pencils when trying to render a moon off the limb. Io may be a little big in the sketch--the next dot down on my processing software was too small. Suggestions welcome.

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

Michael,

These are both excellent sketches of Jupiter as it currently appears at the eyepiece and so is the other one you posted at the thread Kris started last month.:waytogo: :bow: :rainbow:
You have a nice sharp edge shadow of Io on the planet's cloud tops. The GRS looks fantastic in your first sketch. Wonderful work, I sure am glad you posted these with your fine report.

Frank :)

#4 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Great sketches Michael.

For moons on a dark preprinted background, I just knick the paper with an Exacto knife.

Best,

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Beautiful sketches, Michael. :bow: :bow:

The shadow of the moon gives a really nice sense of depth to the sketch.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

These are excellent sketches. You are really good at this, Michael.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. :)

For moons on a dark preprinted background, I just knick the paper with an Exacto knife.

Sol, I remember a post a while back where you said you did this. You make it sound easy--with me operating the knife, I envision an exacto blade thrust through the paper. I will try practicing it. Thanks. :)

#8 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

Beautiful sketches of Jupiter Michael! :bow: :waytogo: It's so great to see your posts because I know you've had to wait a while for a string of good nights. I am so happy to hear you've nabbed another WCIS sketch! :D Hoping for many more to come.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Thanks, Rich. :) Keep thinking positive about the weather. NOAA has officially declared this an El Nino year. My little corner of the world has gotten 23 inches of rain since May.

#10 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

excellent sketches and report Michael :waytogo: jupiter can show a hell of a lot of detail with great seeing, i find it a very 'seeing-sensible' planet most of the time.

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Michael,

Excellent observations of Jupiter showing much detail. You are recording detail within the South Equatorial Belt (SEB), Great Red Spot (GRS; light core with a darkened southern border), and North Equatorial Belt (NEB; dark condensations and a bright rift). The transit of Io is very interesting and well rendered. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#12 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

Two excellant skeches of jup good job with the neb and the festoons glad your finally getting some good looks at jup.

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

Tommy, thanks for all your kind comments--hope you get a look at the King again soon.

Over in the Imaging forum, I found this animation of the Io transit that I sketched above. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics