HEQ5 motor speed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SimonC

SimonC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi I recently purchased a HEQ5 mount second hand. Having little experience of equatorial mounts, I expected it to move at a similar rate to my celestron 4SE. There are 3 Speed settings on my HEQ5 2x 8x & 16x. Even at 16x you can barley notice it moving. Is this correct? Are you supposed to move by hand and then fine adjust with the motor controller.

If so, and I purchased the Goto upgrade for the HEQ5 how fast would the motors move the mount when slewing to a selected object?

Thanks
Simon

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

There are 3 Speed settings on my HEQ5 2x 8x & 16x. Even at 16x you can barley notice it moving. Is this correct?

Yes.

Are you supposed to move by hand and then fine adjust with the motor controller.

Yes.

If so, and I purchased the Goto upgrade for the HEQ5 how fast would the motors move the mount when slewing to a selected object?

Somewhere around 500X sidereal.

#3 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

Just a minor correction, the fastest slew speed is 800x, about 3.3 degrees/sec. Even that can feel pretty slow, depending on your tolerance for the noise involved. And then there's the unique-to-GEM meridian-flip, which can seem interminable, if you like to flit back and forth viewing objects on either side of the meridian without a lot of planning ahead of time. An alt-az such as the 4SE does not have that last issue, at least not as bad and not unless you are viewing close to zenith.

Mike

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

Just a minor correction, the fastest slew speed is 800x, about 3.3 degrees/sec.

Thanks, Mike! Yes, I was low there. Comes from using Tak mounts; nearly everything else slews faster.

#5 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

I have a Nextsar 4SE and an HEQ5 - the HEQ5 with GoTo slews pretty fast I think - much faster than the 4SE - its generally pretty quick whereas the Nexstar seems to take forever. Maybe its just perception.

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

...Goto upgrade for the HEQ5 how fast would the motors move the mount when slewing to a selected object?

Simon,

Synscan GOTO is at 800x for EQ6 while mechanical total gear-down is 705:1. HEQ5 GOTO mechanical gear-down is also 705:1 with an almost identical intelligent motor controller and the same intelligent handbox (which provides the GOTO coordinate then issue "moveto"). So I think it's also 800x sidereal.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Yes i also confirm that slew speed of heq5 pro is 800x. It seems fast enough for me eben if meridian flip is needed and the mount is also quiet.

#8 SimonC

SimonC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I have just talked to Stockport Binocular & Telescope Centre today. They are going to get one in for me ready for payday. The man did say however that fitting is easy but getting the correct amount of back lash can be tricky. Anyone got any method for fitting and testing the motors or is it just a case of getting used to doing it?

#9 Anand Rajiva

Anand Rajiva

• -----
  • Loc: Bavaria, Germany

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hi Simon,

Anyone got any method for fitting and testing the motors or is it just a case of getting used to doing it?

with the HEQ-5 it is quite easy as you can see the gears after you removed the back cover. With the EQ-6 this is not so simple. See http://eq6.update.ra...pdate/gears.jpg

CS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics