Photo

August 5th and still no review on CGE PRO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Here it is August 5th and there is still no review or CN report on the CGE Pro that I can find. Top that off with almost no posts in the forums. Have I missed somethng?

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Nope.. I've been watching too... very quiet and I've seen in at least one sig line a cge pro as the mount. My CGE seems at it's limit with the TEC 160 and guide scope and 'stuff' and so I've been very curious as to anything other than 'Wow that looks really cool!' type of fare.

Come on somebody.. anybody who has the mount? Any info appreciated and thanks :)

#3 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Jim:

You have peaked my curiosity! Tell me about (frankenmount)

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Hi Steve,
The short history of Frankenmount. Nearly a year ago I bought a CGE mount. I love it but it has had the usual spate of things to fiddle with. It, at this time, has had the grounds reinforced with additional wiring paths, the power connector replaced with one from a computer, and now one of the J5 boards modified. I've learned a tremendous amount about the mount electronics, mechanics, and construction in the process, but mine looks 'highly modified' from it's initial appearance. I have used the mount nearly every clear night in all weather, with many different OTA's and combos of OTA's since purchased, and most of time all night. I think I would make a good mount 'torture tester'.

It is now a better mount than it started out to be, can use any straight thru RJ45 cable to connect the RA and DE head assys, no strain anywhere near the DEC head cable, power connection no longer at right angle to electronics pier, easy access to the limit switches... "but it ain't purdy"

Attached Files

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

Here it is August 5th and there is still no review or CN report on the CGE Pro that I can find. Top that off with almost no posts in the forums. Have I missed somethng?

There is a CGE Pro Yahoogroup, CGE Pro Uncensored.

#6 DavidW

DavidW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

They are selling the CGE again, its back up on the website. I got to see one of the CGE Pro's at a vendors shop with a C14 on it and it is a big mount I don't consider portable for setup/tear down each time, not to say you couldn't... Really it is bigger than me (OK I'm not 5'-10).

#7 majikthyze

majikthyze

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

I've made heavy use of the CGE Pro for my own images and when evaluating the Edge HD series telescopes. You can see images taken with the Edge HD and CGE Pro at:
http://www.flickr.co...57618612316465/
and some images take with CDK12.5 and CGE Pro can be seen at the links below:
http://www.flickr.co...57605119249428/

Note that I'm a Celestron beta tester (and hence have a bias) but hope that the images speak for themselves. I think there have also been some nice images posted in the CGE Pro Yahoo group, but I agree that things have been a little quiet about this (very nice) mount. It would be great to hear from others about it.

Cheers,

Andre

#8 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Jim:

Very interesting! I can see a few changes I would like to make.

Thanks for posting.

#9 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

There is a CGE Pro Yahoogroup, CGE Pro Uncensored.

Thanks Rod, I'll check it out.

#10 kalafrana

kalafrana

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

They are selling the CGE again, its back up on the website. I got to see one of the CGE Pro's at a vendors shop with a C14 on it and it is a big mount I don't consider portable for setup/tear down each time, not to say you couldn't... Really it is bigger than me (OK I'm not 5'-10).

If Big C is selling the CGE again that can only be a good thing (and not just for those of us who've got one). The CGE Pro is touted as being "the" mount for the C14 OTA. Fact is, though, that unlike the 45lb CGE the CGE Pro at 75lbs can hardly be described as transportable, let alone portable.

I can understand that astrophotographers using a C14 would prefer the Pro to the straight CGE - but how many astrophotographers are going to want to use a 3910mm f.l. anyway? Not too many, I'd guess. And visual observers with a C14 need to get to a dark sky site to make it worthwhile setting up the beast in the first place. The CGE is easily manageable and quite adequate for visual observing, but I don't think lugging the Pro into the sticks is a sensible proposition at all. :p

The Pro's proper place, I'd suggest, is in an observatory.

#11 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

You can break the pro down into managable pieces. The mount head can be broken down into two parts. It works well with mine and allows me to move it by myself. I break it down into a big foam lined tote from Wally world and take it in the back of my Santa Fe.
Phil

#12 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

... Note that I'm a Celestron beta tester (and hence have a bias) but hope that the images speak for themselves.

Very nice images, Andre ... thanks for posting the links! :waytogo:

#13 kalafrana

kalafrana

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

You can break the pro down into managable pieces. The mount head can be broken down into two parts. It works well with mine and allows me to move it by myself. I break it down into a big foam lined tote from Wally world and take it in the back of my Santa Fe.
Phil

OK - thanks for that, for some reason I hadn't seen that the mount was in two pieces. Makes more sense, definitely, but I still think the CGE has its place for mobile visual observers. Just as well: since the Pro will cost about US$18000 here I won't be rushing out to buy it anyway.

BTW, I can get the CGE 1100 and my complete C14 fork-mounted scope with all the bits and pieces into my Nissan Maxima for a night out. I've done it a couple of times: no room for passengers though!

Cheers

#14 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Andre,
Your "Heart of Cygnus" image is so beautiful it sent chills down my spine.

#15 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Andre:

I do agree. Outstanding images.

I joined the CGE Pro Yahoo Group this morning and was accepted just a while ago. I have gone through most of the 321 posts and still have virtually no information on the mount.

Lot's of questions, few if any answers and some nice sky images and pictures of the new HD Edge.

I guess I'll keep waiting for that "full on review" of the mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics