Lunar Nights and Two Crater Areas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

There is not a climate or location or season that I have not found interesting, although some present more of a challenge to the body. Summer nights on the Eastern Seaboard during the “dog days” are some of those mixed blessing evenings: full of dew, high humidity, and warm but also coupled with a unique stillness, varied summer sounds, and hazy air that spreads the moon light. We had two of those nights this week as the moon was low in the south-southeast and casting shadows with a slightly golden light. These are the nights where Linda and I sit with an iced coffee and enjoy the quiet in the moonlight on our observing pad. Normally an SCT gets pretty wet fast, but we rely on concrete pads or a sky shed pod – both of which tend to mitigate the moisture issue as long as sketch times are less than an hour. Although she retired early each night, the time together was a good introduction to peaceful sketch periods. August 2 was for Shickard, using a Denk II binoviewer with 14 mm Antares and a C8.

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

August 3 was for Hevelius and “daughters” using a ProDob astro video camera on the same C8. Magnifications were both over 200 but details were hard to see with all the haze. Nevertheless, both nights were nights to give thanks. The “ruler of the night” put on a good show.

Attached Files

#3 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Very nice. Shickard is wonderfully detailed, I feel like I'm zooming up on it in a low lunar orbit.

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Roland stunning sketches, both of them are just eyepopingly (OK, I'll resort to Jeremyisms here) beautiful, very accurately sketched and wonderfully presented.

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

Roland,

Excellent sketches of interesting lunar craters. The shadows and crater walls are well rendered. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the comments. Wish I could have gotten more of the detail but a low hazy moon is hard to work with.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics