Mount ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dwmedic

dwmedic

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oxford,Ks

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

I,m deforking my 10in LX50, I have a cg-5 mount on tripod with 2" steel legs, the scope would put it right around the stated weight limit as is. My question is if I added a longer counterweight shaft would this alow me to add alittle more weight on the mount. I am strictly a visual observer no photography, just don't want to ruin the mount. Derek

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

That is a big telescope for a CG5. I don't think you will "Ruin" the mount by using a counterweight shaft extension, but I think it is pusing it beyond the limit that you will find satisfying to use.

The CG5 type dovetail is also rather dinky for mounting a heavy scope like the Meade 10". Meade scopes OTAs tend to be a bit heavier than similar size Celestrons.

Anyway, I don't think it will ruin the mount. People overload these mounts all the time. It rarely damages them.

Good luck.

#3 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

You don't need an extension, just use another counter weight. My guess is that the Meade OTA weighs just about 33 to 35 lbs., which is the upper limit load capacity for this mount. Since you don't expect to use this rig for AP, you should be good to go.

#4 dwmedic

dwmedic

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oxford,Ks

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the replies, I think i will try it and if I don't like it I will just have to purchase another mount, maybe a CGEM or an Atlas. Thanks Derek

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics