Moon and Jupiter (August 6, 2009)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

I was able to view the Waning Gibbous Moon (it was full yesterday) and Jupiter over the western horizon while experiencing intermittent thunderstorms. The pair was striking as they appeared to be floating between cumulus clouds over the western horizon. The Moon was approximately 5 degrees and Jupiter ~10 degrees above the western horizon. I hope that others got a look at the pair as well.

A digital image produced in Gimp.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Very nice, Carlos. We were totally clouded in, but I was hoping someone would enjoy sketching it.

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

Roland,

Thank you for the compliment on my Moon and Jupiter observation. I was fortunate to view the pair with the poor weather we have been experiencing. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Nice sketch of these two prominent objects thanks for sharing nice use of color.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Carlos,

What a great drawing. You can tell the clouds are in the foreground the moon is in the middle and Jupiter is in the background. You make this look easy and it is really beautiful. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

Frank and Tommy,

Thank you for your compliments on my Moon and Jupiter observation. The view was a striking one as the clouds parted and the pair became visible. The best of luck to in your own observations.

Carlos

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

I was able to observe the Waning Gibbous Moon (15.7 days old) and Jupiter (-2.84m) rising over the eastern horizon tonight (August 7, 2009 at 01:00 U.T (( PM EDT)). The Moon was now east of Jupiter and both objects were approximately 6 degrees above the eastern horizon. The Moon exhibited a glow around it which added to the scene. I hope that others were able to view this as well.

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

Carlos,

Wonderful on both observations. They line up very nicely with what I have observed out of the upper windows in our master bedroom.

The moon tonight where I live had a very yellowish hint tonight with Jupiter to the west of the Moon from a series of fires that were sparked off today. Now were clouded in due to a cold front that is passing through. Thank you for sharing these.

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Carlos,

And another beauty. You really do great naked eye sketches and capture the atmospherics and mood of the view in your drawing. Always a pleasure to see your fine work. :cool: :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#10 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Evergreen Park, Ill.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Carlos,

Nice sketch. :cool:

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 gufle

gufle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Leuven, Belgium

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

These are two great sketches. The effects of the moonlight on the clouds is a piece of art.

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:11 AM

Carlos

Your color interpretations are beautiful in rendering this lunar planetary conjunction :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am glad that you could observe and share it with us, as it has also been quite cloudy here in Portland for the past several days, we missed it. I like the varying blue skies that you sketched into the scene.

Thanks again for sharing,

Mark

#13 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

wonderful sketches! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#14 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Carlos these naked eye sketches of the Moon and Jupiter are simply spectacular! :bow: :jump: :bow: I noticed the first one was done using GIMP and the second using Photoshop. How would you compare them? Are there particular advantages of one over the other?

#15 apollo13

apollo13

Explorer 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Carlos,
Wonderful sketches!
I was out on the 7th with my 10X70 Nikons and your sketches remind me of my view. Thank you...I had no way of capturing the moment but in the future, I'll look at your sketches and remember that night.
Robert

#16 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Wonderful job Carlos. :jump:

#17 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Thank you all very much for the kind compliments on my Moon and Jupiter conjunction observations. I was fortunate to have observed them considering my poor weather lately (clouds and thunderstorms, but at least no hurricane yet). I try to render the colors that I observe as accurately as possible, as we all do. I enjoy observing conjunctions whenever possible. I hope that you all get to see them as well.

Rich- I have used Adobe Photoshop for some time now. Photoshop is the industry standard as it is loaded with every tool an artist/photographer may need for image manipulation. The problem with Photoshop is that it has a high learning curve to master this phenomenal program, if at all possible considering all of it's many features. GIMP is a very competent image processing software and best of all it is free. GIMP has been compared to Photoshop but more accurately to one of the older versions (maybe versions 4 or 5). This says a great deal if one is able to compare their program to Photoshop at all. In my opinion GIMP is more than adequate for the majority of people out there for their image manipulation needs, but if they can afford Photoshop (or even Photoshop Elements) then they should do so. I hope that this helps.

Links;
http://www.adobe.com/
http://www.adobe.com.../?promoid=BPDEK
http://www.adobe.com.../?promoid=BPDEM
http://www.gimp.org/

Carlos

#18 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Another free on that is simpler than GIMP is irfanview at www.irfanview.com. It is more intuitive and easier than GIMP. If you have ever tried to wade through the GIMP documentation you will know what I mean!

#19 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Carlos, as usual, stunning photoshop work. I love both of the sketches, especially the glow around the moon in the second one. Marvelous.

#20 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

Jason,

Thank you for the compliment on my Moon and Jupiter observations. They were both impressive sights. The best of luck in your own observations.

Paul- GIMP is not an easy program to learn but it is very powerful and worth learning if someone wants a good program (and for free to boot!). Ifranview is a good image viewer but does not have all of the features of an image processing software. I have included some other software programs to consider;
http://www.freeserif...ey_features.asp (Serif Photoplus SE, and excellent program for Windows)
http://www.photoscap.../screenshot.php (Photoscape)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paintnet)

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics