• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

I got everything together from my imaging session on the 3rd and whipped up an animation of the Io transit. Seeing became pretty good right when Io started to transit. It was pretty bad before this when I was trying to get the impact scar. Seeing peaked right about midway through the transit and then started to wane at the end. I am kind of disappointed with the animated .gif I ended up with mainly because lowering the color depth kills some details. Might do some sort of movie instead to show the detail a bit better.

I have a teaser animation below that is 50% size. It only shows the beginning of the transit. Would put more into it but I had to keep the size below 100K :/.

Click on the animation below to see the entire transit at 100% or click on the link.

COMPLETE Io Transit animation here! FULL SIZE!

50% sized teaser below:
Posted Image

#2 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

like it. It takes some dedication to get so many still for a whole Io transit

#3 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

Thanks,
I wish the seeing would have held up for the entire time I was capturing though. It wasnt that bad doing the captures. For a good part of the time, I was controlling the captures from inside. I was using remote desktop to my laptop outside. Had the computer hooked up to the autoguide port and was using the manual slew feature of PHD guiding to make sure Jupiter was centered in the frame. All I had to do was make sure I captured every 10 minutes. I knocked it down to 5 when Io was at the planet rim.

Actually had about another 8 frames that I processed but seeing was so bad that it wasn't worth adding them to the animation. They showed the impact scar, but was more a blur than anything.

Not sure If I will have an opportunity to have seeing like on Monday. Seeing usually only creeps into the "good" territory when it is about 3-4am, and at that time Jupiter is starting to get too low in the sky.

#4 BrianFitz

BrianFitz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

That blows me away to see such great detail and a transit animation --- it's absolutely stunning

#5 john D

john D

All you have to do is ask!!

• Loc: Midlothian, VA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

very very cool. well done! :waytogo:

#6 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

• Loc: Swindon, UK

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

Fantastic animation.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

zAmbonii,

That's a great animation, well done. :) I saw the very beginning of the transit (and made this sketch ) but was unable to follow the whole thing--thanks!

You also captured the Oval BA rotating across the Jovian disk (to the south of the transit across the SEB on the edge of the STrZ). :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics