Mount Select for Windy Area

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Terra3

Terra3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Almost sheepish in inquiring given the wealth of info contained in the threads . . . .

I have an 80 mm Stellarvue ED wide field and 100 mm Orion ED. The 100 atop a SVP, the 80 predominately on a reasonable photo tripod (plenty of terrestrial viewing where I live), and periodically on the SVP.

Have always wanted to get an Alt-Az and have constantly put off. Now wanting to pick up. My biggest concern is stability; and especially so given the high incidence of winds here on the East Alberta plains. I understand shelling $$$'s will certainly do it, but on a more economical scale, how would the more cost effective options fare . . . thinking EZ touch, Voyager, older Vixen Dx. I've never used a push mount, so I'm not certain how well they work, and more so at the upper ends of my good viewing mags (150 - 225x or so . . . pretty decent dark skies out here). I did like the slo mo controls on a Vixen that I had used once with the smaller scope.

Appreciate any and all help with this. In the meantime, I'll continue to pour over postings in the wee hours of the morn'.

Al

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics