Three Finger Night

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Observing Note. We were sitting together enjoying the clear sky while the temperature was dropping rapidly. It was 85 midday; now it was 65. The air aloft was dry and the scant clouds were moving to the southeast. The nearly full moon had risen with Jupiter hanging to the south about “three fingers” or 5 degrees away. We watched 3 long-lasting meteors; one of them actually bore a path through the air that changed course a little bit. After a bit we both took looks at Jupiter, her moons, and the moon with a 4 inch refractor. At the close of our time we turned and saw a wedge shaped cloud form above the moon. There was just enough moisture in the air so once in a while the little bump-up of moister air from the mountain ridge caused a cloud to appear several miles “downwind”. The air was so dry that the cloud developed and disappeared in 3 minutes. I had to do the sketch from memory.

The Lesson. We have been with Hispanics, Haitians, Germans, Ugandans, Chinese, children, old men, women, educated ones, and those without any chance at education when we illustrated measuring the sky using hands and eyes. As I finished the sketch I kept remembering the different ones I had been with as we raised our hands together to measure the angular distance between two objects—like Linda and I did this night for the moon and Jupiter. For many places we have been, it becomes a double lesson: the sky can be measured AND we are the same. The hands may look different, but we have the same proportions, needs, fears, wonder, and curiosity. Oh, that the love of God is so pure as to be impartial to what we look like or where we come from! So whether it is my little Ugandan friend, Ezra, or my frail wheel-chair bound friend, Ione, on the other side of the world, the good news of the Kingdom is the same, and observing or measuring the skies that He created is also the same for both.

“Come to me [ALL] you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Sketch notes: black construction paper 8.5x12 inch, pastels for the clouds (white, red, yellow), white pencil for the first moon/Jupiter, Bic "Wite-out" to enhance the brightness of the moon and Jupiter, black/white pastels for final touches around the moon, 40 minutes

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Roland,

Very nice sketch. You and Linda had a very nice quiet evening to reflect. I'm always impressed with the sketches both of you create and the reflections you add. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Frank. It is about the last night we have seen....now it's hot, muggy, and cloudy with probably no changes till later next week.

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

Very nice sketch of this conjunction of two bright celestial objects.

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Roland,

How nice!
I had a beautiful naked eye sight of the moon and Jupiter on the previous night, with the same type of clouds in the sky.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Tommy and Rony. Rony, interesting that you saw similar clouds. I live in a very peculiar location relative to the mountain ridge and the prevailing winds so clouds like this on certain nights very rapidly appear then evaporate before your eyes almost as fast. Makes for dynamic sketch time.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Roland,

A beautiful observation of the Moon among altocumulus (or possible cirrocumulus) clouds over Virginia skies. It must have been a striking view for you and Linda. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

We are all the same in God's eyes!

Carlos

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

It was Carlos, and reminds me of the sketches you have with the backgrounds in Florida with trees, water, or clouds.

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Roland,

I really enjoy looking at this sketch and I have come back several times to ponder on it and its message. Nicely done as always.

#10 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Thank you Jay. Glad you enjoyed it. Talked with a couple from Thailand today about the same subject. We will probably teach them our curriculum in October. And, in the end, God gets the credit.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics