Photo

What tall/narrow box to use to pack up tripod?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hey all,
Going through the typical equipment sell & upgrade cycle, I will be shipping out two tripods and need to find a tall, narrow box for each of them.
I am not opposed to joining two boxes to make them long enough to fit the tripods either.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

UPS stores sell a 12" X 12" X 48" box intended for golf bags.

#3 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

This is a good post and wonder what others have done too.

I have used the two box joining method above 48" and even rope tied the box so it could be handled by the rope to more evenly distribute stress on it since it was two pieces.

If you have time and barring it is not too expensive, the tripod mfg is always a good source and I have resorted to that too; especially if they live in your town.

I have also used U-Haul as they have a great supply of various boxes as well.

Last place is your local recycle center's cardboard dumpsters. If you dig, you might find the exact size for free. If it is a man'd station, make sure you ask for permission just to be safe.

S

#4 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

UPS stores sell a 12" X 12" X 48" box intended for golf bags.

Excellent idea, I'll check and see if my local store has one of these in stock. (2 in stock actually...)

#5 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Also look for the local shops too. There is one right by me that has some rather unique box sizes that saved my butt when I suddenly needed to build a new box for an LX200R tube and ship, that the larger chains don't even touch.

#6 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hi Taylor,

Nice to touch base with you again!

In the Seattle area there are a couple of packaging specialty stores that carry a lot of different size boxes. One is at 1st Ave South/Holgate and the other is on South Michigan/6th Ave S. I don't recall their names but they're in the phone directory. Also, I bought a box for a tripod that I recall was about 10x10x42+/- at Wanderer's Mail Service at the Pike Place Market. You might give them a call--they've got a lot of different size boxes.

Good luck!

Phil

#7 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Howdy Phil. Thanks for the recommendations.

I ended up getting the 48x15x15 golf club boxes at UPS for $10.95 a piece and just trimmed them down to the required height.

#8 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda! I've established the habit of saving the boxes and packing materials because astronomy equipment is not yours forever. In the meantime, you could salvage the cardboard from a large appliance such as a refrigerator and make your own box. I've done this and it's not too difficult.

#9 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Go to a furniture store, or pottery barn or something like that. They ship things like floor lamps in long thin boxes. I found one to fit an LX200 tripod with just enough room to fit in some protective styrofoam.
Be creative!

Hope this helps - Rob

#10 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

I've shipped a couple in boxes made from sonotube concrete forms........they come in different diameters, usually 5 feet long. I made round plywood ends for them, and stapled them in. They arrived alive.........

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics