• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

I have a GM8 on the way but need to make an extra counterweight for it. Can someone please measure the diameter of the counterweight shaft on their GM8 and post the measurement? Either that, or measure the hole diameter on one of the GM8 counterweights itself.

Thanks in Advance - Rob

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

The shaft is 1.25". I didn't actually measure mine but doing a google search indicates that's the size. Will try to give you an actual weight ID measurement in a little while (if no one else does), since there needs to be some slop involved in the fit.

Ok, a little while later, a measuring caliper indicates 1.25-1/64 for the shaft and 1.25+1/64 for the weight.

Mike

#3 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate you taking the time
to measure it. This is my second GM8 and my recollection was that the shaft was closer to 1" despite it saying right on the Losmandy website that it is 1.25". I guess if you can't trust the manufactures website, who can you trust?

Thanks again - Rob

#4 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

You're welcome. Yes, it's a pretty substantial piece, makes the 20mm bar on my SVP look pretty wimpy.

My pre-owned GM-8 is an early example so have to assume they've always used this size.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics