CGEM on Its Way!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

• Loc: PA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

I just purchased a sparsely used CGEM for $1100 and I am super excited! I will only get time to use it for a week or two and then I will be away for several months, so hopefully I can get some time with it. I also purchased the snazzy dual saddle from ADM that fits both vixen and losmandy type dovetails. I would purchase all the upgraded knobs too, but don't really have any money left over lol. I am glad to be done with the CG5. It is quite clunky and annoying to use...at least for my tastes. I know plenty of people love it. Anything I should know about the CGEM? Will I be able to guide through the HC just like I do on the CG5?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

Steve, Yup the CGEM uses exactly the same hand controller as the CG-5 (assuming the same level of firmware), so your autoguiding shouldn't change at all.

#3 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Steve,
Before you get the knobs get the extention cable for the HC. The placement of the plugs for the HC and the power is at least I think a dumb place. The cord for the HC is way to short. It can get very tight if you don't follow the mount when it is slewing, it can get pulled out very easaly.
Dan

#4 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Steve,
Before you get the knobs get the extention cable for the HC. The placement of the plugs for the HC and the power is at least I think a dumb place. The cord for the HC is way to short. It can get very tight if you don't follow the mount when it is slewing, it can get pulled out very easaly.
Dan

Dan, thanks for the tip! I just took a look at the CGEM pic and the HC connection is indeed in a stupid place. I will get the extension.

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

>>>I am glad to be done with the CG5. It is quite clunky and annoying to use...at least for my tastes. <<<

Let us know how you think the CGEM compares in this regard. I figured it'd be pretty much the same thing except for more of it (bigger). :grin:

#6 Adam E

Adam E

Apollo

• Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

I also picked up a second hand CGEM at the same price. Great mount, but I agree with the sentiments here about the hand controller port and length of the cable. You'll love the dual-style ADM saddle. I have one, and it is leaps and bounds above the 'stock' Celestron saddle.

Hope you have some good skies before you're away for a while.

#7 mtlott

mtlott

Explorer 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

I've got a new CGEM mount, too. Where do I find an extension cable for the HC? Is it a special Celestron part or will any generic cable do?

Marie

#8 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

I've got a new CGEM mount, too. Where do I find an extension cable for the HC? Is it a special Celestron part or will any generic cable do?

Marie

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_cgmx.htm

#9 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

Of course you could address the cord length problem the way I did. Just let the HC fall to the ground and hang there all day in 100+ degree heat! My cord's so stretched out it's not a problem anymore. :p

I definitely like Anthony's saddle as well, and the knobs are a nice touch although a bit pricey.

Beo

#10 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

I just got my CGEM and it looks like a really nice mount. However, it seems like the two azimuth screws are too short. You cannot adjust azimuth unless one of the screws is nearly completely unscrewed and pressing up against the peg. What is the point of having two azimuth screws? The ones on the CG5 were much longer and I could use both to adjust fine movements.

#11 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:17 AM

Here ya go, http://scopestuff.com/ss_cgmk.htm, replacement azimuth screws.

#12 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Really do not understand that...mine are fine. They would only be too short if your tripod legs are so out of whack relative to true north that the stock ones cannot do the job...so, just get the tripod legs a bit better aiigned and you should be fine.

#13 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

I removed the mount from the tripod to check and it is pretty clear that the azimuth screws are too short.

#14 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

I realized what the issue was. When the guy who sold me the mount was assembling it, he used the wrong screws for the saddle. He switched them with the azimuth screws and the saddle screws. The screws for the saddle are shorter than the azimuth screws and did not reach the peg. It is a simple issue and is now resolved. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics