CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

The start/stop rattle is normal for stepper motors on ramp up and ramp down between rest and full speed, and GOTOs for this mount only happen at full speed. I haven't heard of any temperature influence. Lube and bearings have no relation; those only affect the tracking precision.

The noise can be minimized by fine-tuning the mesh of the gear train and tweaking the worm alignment. Instructions are all over the EQ6 Users' Yahoo site, as well sites of some posters here and other places. Fairly easy to do, but the final few milimeters of adjustment of both the mesh and the worm can be frustrating; locking down the final location can shift the setup and result in binding or looseness that might be worse than it was at the start. Some folks get lucky and are done in less than 30 minutes including removing/reinstalling the motors to adjust by feel, some chase it for hours and hours. It's a task to keep the obsessive-compulsive tinkerers busy for a long time.

#27 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

I searched youtube and found few vids demonstrating EQ5/6 mounts. Those seem to be pretty quiet when slewing But there is a significantly nasty sound when starting/stopping slewing (I wonder what that sound would be when operating well below -10C). Is that common with EQs and could changing the lubricants/bearings cure it?

No vid found showing CGEM.
There seem to be some threads here discussing over this noise issue which is pretty important to me (neighbor's bedroom less than 30ft away).
I might accept slightly higher slewing noise but start/stop should be free of extra noise.

BR Ben

It's not at all "nasty." "Barely audible" is more like it. If you want "nasty" have a listen to my ETX 125... :lol:

;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics