• Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Meade LXD75 Mount

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

This was a nice concise review that pretty much hit all the highs and lows of the LXD75. I bought mine about 5 years ago as the most affordable option at the time (and it still is for me) and it's been a real workhorse. It spends most of its time with my SN6 on it imaging (along with a guide scope and PHD), and a lesser amount of the time fitted with my SC8 for visual observing. One comment I would make is some of the hiccups I've seen while autoguiding can usually be reduced or eliminated by tweaking the RA/Dec percents (values that control how the mount corrects for backlash).

Have fun!

#3 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on this great little mount. The LXD75 has a been a good mount for me and gets used mainly with my 60mm Maxscope and my ED80. It's very portable and dead easy to align, especially for my use as a visual observer and sketcher. The only downfalls that I've had with this mount are the gears slipping off after transport (This happened a few times. Thankfully it's an easy fix.) and the slewing on the RA has pretty obvious backlash. I've always believed my gears must be a little gummed up and don't notice it so much on the declination.

#4 NukenGeek

NukenGeek

Vostok 1

• Loc: Richland, WA

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

That's a good review and generally reflects my experience as well.

I originally bought mine to primarily use it with my Coronado, but it quickly became my preferred platform for deep sky imaging. Shortly after having it hypertuned I acquired a SBIG ST-4000XCM and an AO-8 adaptive optics unit. Using the AO-8 I've been able to reliably acquire 30 minute sub-frames through a 4" refractor. The only thing I would change on it would be to add a weather control feature.
:cloudy:

#5 jmcdonald

jmcdonald

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

That picture looks like exactly my old setup - lxd75 and C9.25. It was a great pair although I thought the C9.25 was a still a hair heavy for the lxd75.
Mine performed much better after a hypertune. I finally sold it to some lucky person so I could buy a DOB.

#6 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Just picked up a one year old 75. Have yet to get it out,,,weather curse of course. Strictly a visual user. Would a hypertune be worth it?

#7 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thank you for your excellent, simple, explanatory review. It is good to see mounts like this that have been around for a while.

I've had my new mount for a little over a month and have put it through it's "break-in" period. I have recently done a reset for the first time as well as a drive training since the gears have developed a little more "play." It may need a lash adjustment down the road but I am not going to mess with it right now, even though I much prefer a mount a little more "rigid." But these motors are fragile and it is possible to "diminish" their life by pushing them too hard.

I'd really like to check out some astrophotography with it before I offer an opinion on it's drive tracking. It's GoTo's are spot on, and I'm going to experiment with it with consideration to a better mount if it's worth it, possibly a hypertune. It's too new to tell. I am enjoying it right now.

#8 NukenGeek

NukenGeek

Vostok 1

• Loc: Richland, WA

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

The hypertune noticeably improved the smoothness and accuracy of the mount. After the hypertune I was able to get 2 to 3 minute unguided subs with just PEC. The AO-8 was easily able to compensate for all remaining mount error for virtually unlimited subs.

#9 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Horsham, England

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

I've had mine (bought secondhand) for nearly two years. Generally agree with everything in the review.

Once the drives are trained, it's reasonably accurate after a two star alignment and puts objects somewhere in the fov of a 32mm plossl on my 2000mm fl Mak. With the Ranger (480mm fl) it's near enough the middle of the fov every time.

Provided it's reasonably well polar aligned, it'll track ok for visual solar observation with my PST (I haven't bothered to add the Sun as an object for tracking)

I have the simple four buton (non-Autostar) control as well, but this has a software glitch - after moving in some directions, it'd sometimes start again and move a few arc-minues at random - I don't bother using this control now.

Overall a the LXD75 was a good purchase for me, and it's staying until I can afford a GM8 or similar.

#10 Honest Steve

Honest Steve

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Avondale, AZ

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the posts. Having some problems with the polar alignment (accuracy) and major backlash issues. Found several of the spur gear allen screws loose (one feel out while slewing) ouch.. Heard the motors spin and shut down the mount (no damage). Replaced the allen set screw, retightened all gears. Now the mount finally is able to get a fair alignment. But I have the AR-6 which is TOO much of a scope for this mount. Sending my mount off to have the Hypertuned this weekend. So, hopefully the pointing / tracking accuracy will improve (but I know the large fulcrum swing of the AR-6, will still be a problem) sigh. But, for the cost is seems to be a good enough setup for now. Will probably put my Meade 6600 - 6" reflector on it once I find a set of rings for it. That should help / reduce some of the severe play that is present when the AR-6 is installed. etc. Thanks for letting me voice my two cents.

Steve

#11 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Good, fair review. I've had mine for about 2 years. Only use it for visual with my C8. Very accurate gotos and very good tracking for visual. Mine has the 2" legs and is extemely solid with my C8 (which weighs only about 17 pounds ready to view).

It has been a very good, and considering the cost/value ratio, mount and I'll keep it for the C8 when I go bigger. I have both a Celestron and Meade goto mount. I find pluses and minuses with both but mostly pluses. While the CG5 get more press here on CN, I see a lot of LXD owners who love their mounts.

#12 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Where do you send this mount to be hypertuned?

#13 Bernez

Bernez

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

hfjacinto,

Look at Deep Space Products

#14 Bernez

Bernez

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

BTW, a good addition to the poor Meade manual, is the book "A User's Guide to the Meade Lxd55 and Lxd75 Telescopes" by Martin Peston. Lots of good infos, specialy on polar alignment.

#15 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks Bernez, I will check it out.

#16 courtierr

courtierr

Lift Off

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

I see it's been a while since anyone posted any reviews on this mount.
I have both the LXD55 and 75 mounts.
I use both for AP, and have had great luck with both.
I have the WarpCorps kit on the LXD55 in my observatory and plan to get one for my LXD75 and LXD55 field mount ASAP.
This kit will improve the tracking accuracy of both mounts a lot.
As mentioned, the Meade grease should be replaced, and the "slop" can be adjusted out of the mount with a little "know how", I've done both.
Balance is key, and if done right, the mount will track very well.
I have an Astrotech AT6RC with SBIG ST10-XME/CFW8a/ AO-7 on my 55. I use a 8X50 mm guide scope with a QHY5 II guide camera, using PHD, and have imaged up to, and including 40 minutes, per shot. I use the AUX port with a Meade #909 module to link the QHY, via PHD, to the guide camera.
The same setup is used on my LXD75, with the same results.
The polar scope in the mount is there for a reason, and I use it as such.
With a little time and care, these mounts will do a pretty good job in any use. The more "high dollar" mounts can do it better, but for the money, I like mine. But any mount is only as good as the time your willing to invest to make it better than factory.

Rob Courtier

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics