•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

still worth buying a Vixen SS2Kpc?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:30 AM

Hi,

Since ss2kpc already become a discontinued product from Vixen. Do you think it
is still worth buying a Vixen ss2kpc in the near future? How about spare parts
and so on.....I got a good offer from a friend.

Hope to hear more advices from you guys.

Regards,

Tommy

#2 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

Whats the good offer? They generally sell quickly if priced <$1k, if priced above it they can take a little longer to sell. At least thats this years going-on's on the AMart history.

I've heard excellent things about their SS2K computer, it has a lot of features considering its age, and I've heard its extremely accurate.

I had a Vixen Sphinx which mechanically built upon the GP-DX gearing, Vixen's error in gears was less than that of the Chinese competition that clones the GP style mounts. Smooth turning on both axes.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Yes...i heard them said so. I owned a Vixen SP mount.

Regards,

Tommy

#4 GShaffer

GShaffer

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

While you are correct that the SS2k is no longer offered as a kit without a mount, it is evidently not out of production. It is still the only thing offered for their highend observatory mount, the Gailax I believe.

As for performance.....I prefer it functionally over anything else I have used, gemini, autostar, ioptron, nexstar.

#5 Poochpa

Poochpa

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

I also think highly of the SS2Kpc. I used mine for years without problem and greatly prefer it to the Autostar II that I own.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics