• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Any users of KB Systems wooden tripods? I need to know your attached mount and scope, and the setup's stability. I'm looking for a lighter grab-and-go for my SV90. I now have a Unistar Light mount and a medium surveyor's tripod and this combo is too noisy and bulky for taking on the road. I can attach the Uni Light to the KB to cut weight, bulk and noise.
Thanks in advance, and clear skies,
Rich
Rochester , NY

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi, Rich-
I have 2 KB Systems tripods... one supporting a Vixen Polaris mount, and 1 supporting a Half Hitch MK II alt-az mount. Both tripods are superb, beautifully made, and solid. They do their job as well as any wood tripod could.
Something you might want to consider is a Carbon Fiber camera tripod- a real heavy-duty one... might be an alternative if weight is an issue? You'd have to balance weight against cost. I have a Feisol C/F tripod I use for supporting my Pentax 80mm spotting scope/digiscoping camera setup and like it very much. Of course, its weight capacity is 25 lbs; there are some other C/F tripods that will support 50 lbs or so, but you're going to pay $800.00 for something like that probably.

#3 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Wes. I'm probably going to spring for the KB1A. It's only 7 pounds and should do a good job supporting the Unistar Light and the SV90. The KB Systems owners have a TV-102 Renaissance Brass Telescope on one and that scope weighs almost 15 pounds. My SV90 is between 8.5 and 9 pounds with everything mounted on it. With the Unistar Light, it should make a good grab-and-go team.
Rich
Rochester , NY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics