CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Any users of KB Systems wooden tripods? I need to know your attached mount and scope, and the setup's stability. I'm looking for a lighter grab-and-go for my SV90. I now have a Unistar Light mount and a medium surveyor's tripod and this combo is too noisy and bulky for taking on the road. I can attach the Uni Light to the KB to cut weight, bulk and noise.
Thanks in advance, and clear skies,
Rich
Rochester , NY

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi, Rich-
I have 2 KB Systems tripods... one supporting a Vixen Polaris mount, and 1 supporting a Half Hitch MK II alt-az mount. Both tripods are superb, beautifully made, and solid. They do their job as well as any wood tripod could.
Something you might want to consider is a Carbon Fiber camera tripod- a real heavy-duty one... might be an alternative if weight is an issue? You'd have to balance weight against cost. I have a Feisol C/F tripod I use for supporting my Pentax 80mm spotting scope/digiscoping camera setup and like it very much. Of course, its weight capacity is 25 lbs; there are some other C/F tripods that will support 50 lbs or so, but you're going to pay $800.00 for something like that probably.

#3 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Wes. I'm probably going to spring for the KB1A. It's only 7 pounds and should do a good job supporting the Unistar Light and the SV90. The KB Systems owners have a TV-102 Renaissance Brass Telescope on one and that scope weighs almost 15 pounds. My SV90 is between 8.5 and 9 pounds with everything mounted on it. With the Unistar Light, it should make a good grab-and-go team.
Rich
Rochester , NY

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics