Mars 15/08/09

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:01 AM

here's a sketch done this morning using my 12" dob. seeing was fair but Mars was showing it's 'boring' side.

not very much recorded, Mare Cimmerium was the only dark feature i could see across the globe. the area south of Mare Cimmerium (Eridiani & Ausonia i believe) was a brighter yellow in color than the more orange dessert on the northern hemisphere (Elysia-um & Aetheria?).
i could however for the first time clearly see the north polar hood, it even had a faint bluish/grey teint.
two bright patches of haze or limb brightening were also seen at the edge of the disk.

i used no filters, but during the whole observation i made use of an apodizing mask, this has worked miracles on Jupiter and, to a lesser extent, improves the view of mars as well!

good luck with your observations!

Posted Image

#2 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Very nice Kris, well done.

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

Nice detail, i heard a lot of good things about the simple apodizing mask.

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

Kris,

Your making me want to study Mars in detail. Thanks for sharing and pipping my interest in this planet.

#5 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Kris,

That is a beautiful rendering of Mars.

Mike

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Kris,

Your Mars sketch is beautiful. With Mars still a long way off you are creating some nice sketches and this is the best one yet.:waytogo: :bow:

Frank :)

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Kris your Mars sketches are simply top notch! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: Very subtle and atmospheric limb glow and terminator. Wonderful color over the entire Martian disc. Lovely albedo! :waytogo:

#8 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

That is really really cool, it is so difficult to sketch Mars >
I got up very early this morning to sketch the Moon and Mars close to each other , but a million clouds prevented that happening.

Lucky you

Dee

#9 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

Very nice Kris. Very faint detail caught. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#10 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

I have not even tried to sketch Mars lately. Since it is only 5" I did not think I could see enough to sketch. Now I will have to rethink this philosophy! Very nice work. What medium did you use? Very good coloring and reproduces the subtle features you see through the eyepiece very well!

#11 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

thanks for the comments guys!

Jay, i'm looking forward to your observations!

Dee, i'm sorry to hear bad weather prevented you from sketching this morning, it has happened to me quite a few times as well :cloudy:

phxbird, i use color pencils on standard white copy paper. i then scan the sketch in and sometimes adjust the brightness and/or contrast levels a bit. this sketch needed no adjustement.

#12 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

That's what I thought. I am borrowing my wifes colored pencils and will give it a shot soon!

#13 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hello Kris

Nice sketch! And thanks for your support to try to see some detail in Mars with my 7 cm refractor. But it didn't work... I will tell you my first try with my 30 cm dobson.

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Really fine sketch, Kris! You do a great job rendering Mars with those color pencil--very subtle and realistic. Keep up the good work.

Your sketch reminded me of one of the earliest Mars sketches, done by Cassini's nephew Giocomo Maraldi. See any resemblance? :) [The sketch is from the book, The Exploration of Mars by Werner von Braun and Chesley Bonestell]

More on Marldi here:
http://en.wikipedia....como_F._Maraldi

Attached Files

#15 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:45 AM

Thanks Michael, yes indeed there is a resemblance :p

i doubt Maraldi was watching the same side of mars, too bad we'll never know what he saw (or is there software able to go back a few centuries :question:).
to me it looks a bit like one of Huyghens' sketches of Syrtis Major, take a look at his right sketch here. perhaps maraldi failed to see Syrtis Major extending further north, or there was haze obscuring it, or perhaps that feature was not as dark as it is now... :shrug:
i find those old planet sketches fascinating!

i looked the book you mentioned up on amazon.com, "perhaps i'll buy it", i thought. seems they're selling from $50 up to $663 :foreheadslap:

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Thanks Michael, yes indeed there is a resemblance :p

i doubt Maraldi was watching the same side of mars, too bad we'll never know what he saw (or is there software able to go back a few centuries :question:).

Kris,

Most programs like Starry Night will let you go back or forward a couple of thousand years (or more). I took Mars Previewer II back to the date on Maraldi's sketch, August 19th, 1719. Unfortunately, since we don't know the time of Maraldi's observation I couldn't pinpoint the features that he sketched, but when I entered the time that Mars would have been at maximum altitude for Maraldi (36°), the CM came up 223°.

to me it looks a bit like one of Huyghens' sketches of Syrtis Major, take a look at his right sketch here. perhaps maraldi failed to see Syrtis Major extending further north, or there was haze obscuring it, or perhaps that feature was not as dark as it is now... :shrug:

Huyghens is credited with being the first to see and sketch Syrtis Major. Those two sketches of his you linked to were done many years before Maraldi. The one on the left was done on November 28th, 1659 and I believe is the first drawing of Syrtis Major. The one on the right was made on August 13th, 1672 at 10:30PM. I plugged those numbers into MPII and came up with Syrtis Major on the CM. Mars had an apparent diameter of 22.7 arcsecs on that date. Btw, this is the first sketch to clearly show the Martian South Polar Cap.

You're right--there is a resemblance to Huyghens's 1672 sketch. but I still think Maraldi sketched Mare Cimmerium--it just looks too much like your sketch. (Mars had an angular diameter of 24.8 arcsecs at the time of Maraldi's sketch)

I found another sketch that Maraldi did later in the year 1719--I think it shows that he knows what SM looks like. By this time, Mars had shrunk to 17 arcsecs.

i find those old planet sketches fascinating!

Me, too! :cool:

i looked the book you mentioned up on amazon.com, "perhaps i'll buy it", i thought. seems they're selling from $50 up to $663 :foreheadslap:

Yes, it's a collectors item. I was fortunate to borrow a copy from a friend for a little while back in 2003. It no doubt contributed greatly to my Mars Mania. ;)

Attached Files

#17 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

Michael, thanks for your digging work :bow:
amazing coincidence that the suspected cm for maraldi could also have been 223° :p

#18 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

Kris
What a great sketch. It not only makes me want to view mars more, It also makes me want to build one of those apodizing mask.

Jim

#19 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

thanks Jim, give making such a mask a try, it's well worth it imo.

#20 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

Very nice, Kris. And, now that you have had time with it, still love that 12 inches of aperture with sketching?? ...and how about the binoviewers??

Clear skies.

#21 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

it's definitely an improvement for deepsky (spent a night hunting globulars and nebulae this week, everything looks so much better!).
on jupiter i can see more easily the same levels of detail (and more) than with my 8".
i haven't looked at saturn, but i guess that'l be the same as with Jup.
on mars, i can't really tell, i still have to do a side by side comparison with the 8 incher. i also have no experience with observing mars at 5" with the other scope. but it's almost sure to be a step up from the 8". still have to compare the mirror quality though i think that's all right.

the binoviewer is an all different story. in fact i'm not happy with it. i bought it exclusively for high power planetary observing, but whatever i do, i just can merge the image(s) of mars. i can almost merge the views of jupiter, but in both cases the image is really bad, when i see loads of detail in mono-mode, i can see *none* with the BV. i had a quick look at some deepsky objects with it, and M13 was truly breathtaking with it. but that's not where i bought the thing for! no one told me, and i didn't search well enough, that you best avoid using eyepieces of 10mm focal lenght or less... that's too bad cause i also acquired a second set of orthos ranging from 4mm to 12.5mm with which i always do my planetary observing & sketching!

i don't really know what to do with the binoviewer, fact is i can't use it with my orthos. only thing i can still try if i want to use the bv is sell the second set of orthos and buy some ep's between 25 and 10mm and use the bv in high power modus so i can still achieve reasonable powers with it to observe the planets. but that means buying 4, 6 or even 8 new eyepieces ! :undecided:

#22 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

Kris,

I am sorry that I have not responded to your excellent observation of Mars sooner but I wanted to be able to identify the albedo features for you. Your were able to view a good amount of detail over Mars. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

As Michael points out, your observation reminds us of the observation made by the French-Italian astronomer and mathematician Giacomo Filippo Maraldi (1665-1729) in 1719. This observation points out the permanence of the major Martian albedo features over time with intermittent changes in certain regions of the planet over time.

I look forward to your future observations of Mars.

Carlos

Attached Files

#23 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

Kris, sorry I did not get back to you on your reply. That is good news on your new scope. ON THE BINOVIEWERS: If you bought them new from Denkmeier, he is really nice about returns. Some people have a real issue with merging images, so you are not the first. I have a reduced problem with binoviewers but it is not bad enough to warrant drastic action. So, you might check about returning them. But if they do not work, by all means opt for something else and sell them. They retain good value because they really are a good product. The best to you....

#24 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Kris,

I have the same problem with all binoviewers. I didn't understand why till a little while ago when I had my eyes checked. It turns out that one of my eyes is 7 degrees off from the other, therefore I can't easily merge images.

It doesn't affect everyday life but it can be a problem with binoculars and binoviewers.

Best,

#25 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

thanks for labeling the sketch carlos :bow: i really appreciate that

Roland & Sol, it's good to hear from fellow sketchers that i'm not the only one having some problems with a binoviewer!
do you think i could solve the merging issue by using longer focal lengths ep's? (in the bv high power modus)
i'm guessing it should be a little easier to look through two ep's with larger eye lenses simultaneously than 2 ortho-peepholes?
on the other hand, it hink the exit pupil will be the same if i use the same powers, so it won't do nothing to help?

i'm willing to give this a shot, and if that doesn't work, i will sell it, i'll ask but i don't think returning will be easy since it would have to be shipped over again. i can always try to sell it here in belgium and europe though.

thanks for the info!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics