CG5 d/a (nonGoTo) handpaddle has had it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Skylab

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

I sent the control handpaddle to Extravision for repair when I lost S-hem tracking , but they were unable to fix it (no parts) so they sent it back to me and told me they couldn't fix it.

I've repaired the RA cable , now goes both directions when commanded to at 2x,4x and 8x but doesn't seem to track at the right rate.
Also I can't remember if the lag before reponding to press buttons on the old mount is normal .... been mothballed for a long time.

I believe the fault is in the tracking circuit (I suspect the dutycycle control circuit has a fault or that the technician put the wrong replacement chip in) .

So I'm certain now that the handpaddle has a fault and since Celestron no longer carry the handpaddle I have as a spare I'll have to look for other options if I want to keep the old GEM and get it back into service.

Has anyone here successfully swapped a set of CG5 6v RA and DEC drives and their CG5 6v d/a handpaddle for a set of EQ5 non-goto (12v ?) drives and handpaddle ?

#2 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Skylab

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Pulled it apart and found all the connections inside were OK, discovered the problem was that my Jumpstarter Powerpack was getting a bit flat (not enough power left to pump up the tires on my trolley !!) so recharged it overnight and then tested the CG5 tracking again last night.

:foreheadslap: Yes , I should have checked the state of my powerpack FIRST !!!

Was able to hold stars inside the recticle (at 75x for about 3 minutes before they drifted backwards (wrt undriven drift) outside , some of that drift due most likely my very quick and rough polar alignment (I did't sight in on omega octantis , nor did bother drift aligning either).

Drive off , the star drifted across the recticle in about 3 seconds.

Seems Celestron still lists my handpaddle on their site, so I'll see about getting a replacement before I add my RJ12 interface to my old paddle to make autoguiding via it and my Orion Starshoot Autoguder possible).

Any suggestions on fixing one of the pins the white Lt,Rt,Up,Down buttons on this model of handpaddle attach too .... one of the pins that the RA buttons attach to has broken off when I removed the buttons to disassemble the controller. The offending RA switch still works.

Will a drop of SuperGlue or 5 Minute Araldite be good enough to reattach the broken pin to the top of the switch ?

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi Ian, glad to read you found the trouble.

FYI - you asked about substitute parts. My old CG-5 was the same as yours; I wound up ordering and mounting the Orion SVP DA drives and controller on it, and it worked great; plus it was cheaper. So there are options available.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics