Photo

Image Posting Guidlines PLEASE READ

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Don W

Don W

demi-god

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:57 AM

Cloudy Nights Image Posting Guidelines:

Image size is restricted to a maximum size of 800x800 pixels and the file size is restricted to no more than 100KB...Please consider our dial-up users when posting an image, the smaller the better. Any image over these 2 parameters will be modified or deleted. Please note that the moderators of each forum within the Cloudy Nights community may further refine this policy in regards to image and file size within their forums. The policy within each forum will govern the posting guideline for that specific forum. If there is no policy posted in particular forum, this policy will be in effect.

Note: You will notice the photo attachment browse window states the attachment limit is ~100,000 bytes. Occasionally, it's necesary to attach a FILE larger than the photo post limit (a PDF or word document for instance). These types of documents do NOT automatically download - the user has to choose to download them. This does not pertain to PHOTOS...please follow the state file size as described here.

Posting Larger Photos:

If you want to post an image larger than these limits allow, please post them to the members gallery, where size limits for pictures in threads do not apply. A link to the image in the gallery can be easily placed in your post, directing the reader to you photograph or sketch, allowing them to view it if they so desire. Doing so is a courtesy to members on dial up connection, as it allows them to chose whether or not to wait for a picture to load. This is actually the preferred method of posting photos here on Cloudy nights. Please make sure that you post "your" photo to your own gallery, not someone else’s. Then any time you want to refer to your photo from a post, you simply link to it. This is a much more efficient way of posting.

Once you post your own photos to your gallery, you can address that photo to appear in either just your gallery or any other gallery, such as the "members photos" gallery or the "equipment gallery". But more importantly, once you have posted your photo to your personal gallery, anytime you want to use that photo again, from anywhere on the internet, all you need to do is link to it.

Thanks,

Cloudy Nights Staff

#2 kiwisailor

kiwisailor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

Might be a good idea if this was applied to URL's also Don.

If you have a large URL (web addy) that you want to put into a post, you can edit it by doing the following:
type [url=Then paste your long url here]Then type a short discription here and finish with[/url]

This gives a nice short, non page distorting link, there are some other ways of doing this (check So Ya Wanna Post A Big URL in the Reflectors forum.

Steve

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, Steve. Big URL's are just as bad.

#4 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:41 AM

Thank you Don.

#5 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

DON:

Then how DO you post an image that doesn't require X-Y scrolling?

Hal Pollner

#6 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

you simply scale it down to an apropriate size. I did that with your posted picture and PM'ed you.

#7 mauro

mauro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:42 AM

Hi DonW. Only today I have seen I had a message from you concerning my pix. I wish to apologies. Excuse me everybody.
The problem is that, due to my english, I dont understand how to resize pix... so I have to apologize twice. Ciao

#8 rushintuit

rushintuit

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

I had the same problem, mauro. Don's links were very welcome!

#9 Art Bianconi

Art Bianconi

Aurora

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

Don I am guilty of assuming that because my files were purposeful downsized to less than the 101K limit, that the graphics were OK.

How sweet it wasn't!

I would like to suggest that when the file size limit message appears during a post, that a few words about pixel size be added. It might make things easier for all the moderators if that caveat appeared during every post, independently of the guidelines.

Thanks

Art

#10 Don W

Don W

demi-god

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

The image posting guideline message is at the top of most forums. We feel that is enough. I will pass your suggestion on to the powers that be though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics