Photo

Calling all LXD-55 owners current or past....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 R Mckenzie

R Mckenzie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:46 AM

I will be deciding shortly on a new scope soon. One of the contenders is the Meade AR-5.

Unfortunately this is only available from the local Meade outlet on the LXD-55 mount. (I wrote to Meade and they said it was most likely brand new but just old Stock). Fair enuff then.

So my question is this. Is this mount good enough for astrophotography? (It will be pier mounted.)

This model appears to have a rather bad rep, when it comes to A.P. work although it is apparently fine for visual work.

Please note that at this point the only feedback I need is from people who have or have had this mount at some point.

I have another contender in mind that will be on an HEq5-Pro mount, but is somewhat more expensive.

All thoughts and feedback welcome :p

#2 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

No, it has no roller bearings like the LXD75 which is a vast improvement. You should be able to get an AR-5 with an LXD75 online with no problem. Astronomics will give you a discount with CN membership. You can buy direct from Meade right now (well yesterday at least) and get a Series 4000 Plossl kit for free - a tremendous bargain.

The LXD55 is not a bad mount for its class but the LXD75 is so much better than there is no real comparison.

-drl

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

I will be deciding shortly on a new scope soon. One of the contenders is the Meade AR-5.

Unfortunately this is only available from the local Meade outlet on the LXD-55 mount. (I wrote to Meade and they said it was most likely brand new but just old Stock). Fair enuff then.

I wouldn't even say it is good for visual work. This was a mount with quite a few problems. I'd look elsewhere.

#4 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

It's not a bad mount, but with that much mass/weight it will never do for Astrophotography and it would only be mediocre for visual use. To correct some of it's deficiencies will take some time and money and if your are buying a new mount I would take a pass on it and get something better.

#5 R Mckenzie

R Mckenzie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Confirms my initial misgivings.

The contender that has won out over the others is this little beastie: Sky-Watcher - 8SCT EQ5P

As it will be housed in a observatory in the backyard I wanted a scope that would lend itself to being used visually as well as AP. My legs aint what they used to be so I want a scope and mount that would allow use from a seated position.

The above combination has everything I require at the budget level I have set.

The new generation HEQ5 mounts now being brought out by Skywather are ones I'm familiar with and will do what I want for the immediate future, however done the track of coarse there are always bigger scopes to buy. Just dont tell the wife :)

#6 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

I currently have (2) of the 55's. Both are Super Hypertuned (done by myself) with more extra's than the normal routine.
(One was purchased supposedly Hypertuned from the "old" LXD55.com. When it arrived, it was Super Tuned, since it wasn't properly done.)

Anyway's, a properly tuned, and balanced (with a "light" load/small scope(s))one of these mounts should preform fine for some moderate AP. Since I've reached, and probably exceeded it's weight limit, I'm stepping up to an EQ6 Atlas for the Observatory.

Will keep one for the field, and perhaps sell one in the future.

#7 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Confirms my initial misgivings.

The contender that has won out over the others is this little beastie: Sky-Watcher - 8SCT EQ5P

As it will be housed in a observatory in the backyard I wanted a scope that would lend itself to being used visually as well as AP. My legs aint what they used to be so I want a scope and mount that would allow use from a seated position.

The above combination has everything I require at the budget level I have set.

The new generation HEQ5 mounts now being brought out by Skywather are ones I'm familiar with and will do what I want for the immediate future, however done the track of coarse there are always bigger scopes to buy. Just dont tell the wife :)

On the other hand the LXD75 is probably the best bargain in mounts. It can be used for astrophotography with a lot of tweaking and care, and there is an enormous base of accumulated experience. The Autostar go-to system is very robust and easy to use. Motions are smooth and positive and with good adjustment, backlash is minimal and can be trained out on the fly. It has more than sufficient capacity to carry the AR-5 and a guide scope. The AR-5 itself cannot be beat for the price - the combination can be had new for $1000 USD and there is often a dealer kicker, like a free eyepiece set, included. You could not go wrong with that scope and it is the one I would invariably recommend to beginners and intermediate users alike who are on a budget.

-drl

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics