M16-Footprints, the Earth, the Heavens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

The series of sketches on the Eagle are listed below and range from the stellar neighborhood to the core. They are shown in an single album: Eagle Series of Sketches

The report for the series is below:

SKETCHES OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
1—unaided eyes, area “over” the “pitcher”, Aug 17
2—8 power, M24 region, the “neighborhood street light”, Aug 17
THE SKETCHES OF THE EAGLE NEBULA:
3—8 power with binocular, Aug 17
4--16 power with binocular, Aug 13
5--28 power with a 102mm refractor, Aug 13
6--46 power with a 80mm refractor MCHC+ astro-video camera, Aug 9
7--154 power with a 12.5 inch Dobsonian MCHC+ astro-video camera, Aug 9

OBSERVATION COMMENT
So many mistakes and notions occur because perspective is limited or context is not considered. One of the chief reasons so many instruments and methods of observing are pleasing is because they offer a variety of perspectives or fields of view or wavelength of observation. When we teach observing we encourage a vigorous observation but with more than one field of view on the same object because it illustrates the point by showing the beauty of an object in more than one way. With this in mind, I wanted to see a favorite object of my own in the southern skies but with at least 4 or 5 fields of view or methods. I chose the Eagle Nebula, M16.

With the eyes, the nearby famous star field punctuates the region but M16 (the Eagle) cannot really be detected. With a binocular the Eagle Nebula region comes alive as a bright patch among stars but is also close to the Swan—another patch of milky white. With a little more magnification and light gathering capacity, it’s a little patch of glitter in a milky spot all itself. With a little more magnification and a color chip on an astro-video camera to help grab the color, it becomes a huge field of reds and pinks with structure, a beautiful smattering of stars that includes an open cluster, and a central odd shaped black cloud with tentacles. With a little more magnification and the astro-video chip again, the core’s dark shape and the borders of both color and black (foreground stellar clouds) become pronounced. Yet, every view is beautiful. Seen together, they present contrasting views that, when added together, cause even more appreciation for the object.

THE LESSON
Likewise, multi-perspectives is what God presents in his response to Job to help him see the error of his thoughts and words, where his observations were too constrained by immediate but harsh circumstances. He temporarily lost sight of the greatness of God. I often do the same, until something strikes me about the magnitude of his creation that spans the breadth of the universe but also the next breath that I take. God runs the gamut in Job by speaking of seeing every man’s steps (Job 34:21), the water cycle that is critical to life on the thin area in which we live (Job 36:26-28), the measurement and creation of the earth (Job 38:4-7), and the beauty of the heavens (Job 38:31-33). So from the smallest footstep to the largest measurement and scene I can imagine, he causes different perspectives to be pondered at one time—to cause me to see the greatness of His way yet His attention to all things—even those things smaller than my footstep.

It was a good night to give thanks.

Sketching notes: No adjustments other than inverting the BXW sketches were made. The B&W sketches were with pencil or a charcoal pencil on white heavy paper that was sometimes combined with work on a rough sketch paper. The color sketches were pastels on black Artagain paper. Original sizes vary from 5x5 inch to 8x8 inches. Scanning was straight forward but was reduced to 120 dpi using a simple version of photoshop elements, which also has a routine to provide an adjustment of size for a web posting.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Roland,

You have given us a sequence of zoom-ins with an ever increasing aperture and resolution. This is quite a magnificent sequence in 7 sketches. Very well thought out.:bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

Absolutely stunning sequence Roland, each sketch rendered with beautiful control of the media! :D :waytogo: :D it's a cool way to lead into an object, helps to start wide to understand where the area is relative to the constellations. I really like this approach, taken altogether it forms the basis of a great public presentation. Excellent work! :goodjob:

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Roland,

I love your sequence here and the level of details and care taken in each sketch. For me they show the expanse down to that smaller detail as you have so eloquently put it. Nicely done as always.

#5 gufle

gufle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Leuven, Belgium

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

Roland,

Very nice series. It is great to see how an object can be seen through different instruments.

#6 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Roland
They are very excellent sketches. Nice comparisons between different instruments and really shows the power of video assisted technology.
I know this off topic but You listed Astrovid , Are you now using stellacam instead of the mallencam or somehow with MC I also see MCHC (which I assume is mallencam)?

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the comments. It was a wonderful set of times that I was not sure was going to come together, but finally did.

Jim: I use the MallinCAM Hyper Color + video camera for the color work. Stellacam does not offer a color camera to my knowledge.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics