Photo

whats a good mount for the astrotech 8"f/4 newt?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 14dobguy

14dobguy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

i am looking into getting into AP,and am pretty confident i want to go with the astrotech 8" astrotech f/4 newt.i am looking for a mount that not only will carry the OTA,but a ccd camera,and maybe some dew protection.thanks for any advise
brian :question:

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Either a CGEM or an Atlas should be fine.

#3 mtlott

mtlott

Explorer 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

I got a CGEM for mine. Hope to try it out for the first time this weekend if the clouds ever clear off.

Marie

#4 ZRX-Steve

ZRX-Steve

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

I have the older Hardin 8" F/4 Newt and the newer 8" F/4 Astrotech Newt. My primary interest is Mallincam. Mallincam does exposures of 2, 7, 14, 28, and 56 seconds. I started off with a CGEM but felt that the longer exposures looked blurry. I downloaded and ran PemPro and trained PEC with about 30 ARC seconds PE peak to peak. It was my first time using PEMPro or doing PEC at all so part of my issue may have been my inexperience. The next step would have been guiding which would probably have solved the issue, but would have increased the complexity. My goal was simple, to be able to do 56 second unguided integrations (exposures). I ended up returning the mount and bought a used G11 that was already tuned. So far I've been happy with the results.

On the other hand, I really prefer the CGEM software / controller interface and the all-star polar alignment. I can't say enough about how good All Star is compared to the G11. The G11 has a polar scope, a polar align assist, and a polar align correction routine. I use them, but I've never got to be friends with them. They work, but for me aren't nearly as friendly. On the CGEM, the All-Star alignment was so easy and good that I neither had or needed a polar scope.

Here's a link to Tim C's post about CGEM PEC. My results were similar. Since you're planning on doing astrophotography you'll be guiding, so the PEC issue is probably a small issue. Link.

Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics